We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

I am trying to plan a family vacation in June. My goal is to enjoy the clean beautiful air of the Swiss Alps, but also provide some fun for my teenaged daughter (age 18). So fly into ZRH direct from Boston. Travel to Lasanne by train (not car) or bus. Get a holiday flat in Lausanne for one week. Travel by train to various places in the Oberland and the Swizz Italian Alps. Also the French Alps maybe. What are your thoughts? Is doable? What are the flaws? Many thanks for your input.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

One flaw is staying in Lausanne as a base. Another is trying to get three areas in one weeks time. While I don't normally recommend staying in Interlaken, that might be your best bet. Your daughter might like signing up for activities thru Balmers, lots of folks her age and older staying there. I am not recommending that you stay there.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

wesheltonj: I like this, I like this....can we get to the Swiss Italian Alps by train from Interlaken? Any idea of the train time from ZRH to Interlaken? So excited now!!

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

For train schedules, see www.sbb.ch;

Interlaken is the gateway to Bernese Oberland; and nearby Wilderswil is a popular village for weekly rentals.

When you say Sw-Italian Alps (Engadine) you are moving the pointer to the east which is better served by another base unless you don't mind not spending much time on the ground.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

thanks bofoster, but is Interlaken/Engadine still possible by train? Or, could you suggest another base for Engadine

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

Following up here from your previous thread. 16-18 is a difficult age... she might be impressed by hiking, or she might be completely desperate to just stay in civilisation and go shopping... Geneva and Zurich are the main cities with "high-class" shopping streets (not saying she needs to spend... but looking is always fine). At this age she can easily get around on her own and so you can enjoy other activities when you wish.

Interlaken has a bad reputation (with us DE's on TA) simply because it is an ugly tourst town... it only exists because of the tourist trade - there is nothing else there. As you have noted Grindelwald, Murren, and Lauterbrunnen are the trifecta for the Bernese Oberland, but Zermatt and St. Moritz would be alternatives that would also have the more "luxo-urban" side attractions.

The first advice I have for you is to take a good look at a map of Switzerland, and also look up train travel times using sbb.ch so that you know distances (and more importantly that although the country may look small compared to the US, the trains have to travel between the mountains and as a result travel times can be much longer than expected!)

... if you only have one week (7 days?) I would strongly suggest to you that you take on only 2-bases at most... and spend your time enjoying those places rather than madly ravelling around and only seeing the country through the window of a train.

If it was me, I would go to St.Moritz (or nearby Pontressina, or Sils) for 4 days, and having a day or two in Luzern upon arrival (also to get over jet-lag) and one day in Zurich before departure (shopping and final sightseeing). Don't try to do too much - just choose to go to a location that has everything that you want in one place - that makes it an easy week.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 13:15
6. Re: Please give me your thoughts on our vacation plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:17