We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

United States
3 posts
Save Topic
Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

I am not much in hiking but want to see Interlaken, mountains, all abundant scenery and Lake towns, Interlaken region with GE etc. How do the mountains look like between these 2 different travel dates

I have to finalize my travel dates for our vacation ( Ah... time to take off from work). Plz help in deciding. Ideally I would like to travel from 1- 14 Oct in Swiss as it gives me some time to relax and making suit case preparations after my project deadline in Mid sept. But I can manage to go bit early with more hard work.

Arrival 24 sep-7 Oct take train to Paris spend 3 days there and come back home on 12th Oct.

or 1st - 14 Oct?? take train to Paris spend 3 days and come back home on 19th.

Which itenerary is best?? Thank you for all help. Watch for my report once I come back from my trip.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

Hi, and Welcome to T.A.,

Either of these times is fine!

Personally, I would choose Oct. 1 -14th. The tourists in the town will have thinned down some! Most or many of the lifts are still open so you still can do most excusions. If you want to hike it will be getting a bit cooler as well.

I would decide ASAP and then try and book a more inexpensive train fare to Paris. Check the www.sbb.ch websites for fares (Swiss train website). An alternative would be capitainetrain.com I have gotten inexpensive tickets to Paris from then that I was able to print out at home. The further out you by the TGV trains to Paris, the cheaper they usually are.

Hope you have a good trip!

United States
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

and how about lush green landscapes during 1st- 14Oct. Will I be able to see fall colors and snow mountains both at this time?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

Yes you will. It depends a lot here on the altitude as to what colours are changing - the trees and bushes turn colour first at higher altitudes and then progressively at lower ones. So it might still be quite green - trees, bushes, etc - around the lakes when you are here whereas in the mountains the larches will have started to change to golden yellow and the little trees and bushes are turning red. How much colour there is depends a lot on whether we have had a lot of rain AND when the first frost comes. here in the Valais the vineyards turn yellow and it is very dramatic to see them, all yellow, with snow covered mountains above them.

Do not leave your trip any later than the middle of October though as the last two weeks of october are usually colder and wetter - we are moving into winter - and most hotels/restaurants etc in the mountains are shutting down or have shut down until December 1.

4. Re: Need help in finalizing Swiss travel dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15