We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

We are traveling to this region during May and had not anticipated that so many of the hotels and B&Bs in the small mountain towns (Grimmelwald, Muerren, Wengen, etc.) would be closed at that time. It had not occurred to us that since they operate heavy schedules in both the winter and summer seasons and are mostly family run, this may be their only vacation time.

In light our recent findings, I'm a bit perplexed about where we should stay. And concerned about whether or not the restaurants and other facilities might also be closed. We had our hearts set on a small place in the mountains with three days set aside to take in the Bernese Oberland area, anyone have suggestions?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

You might try a bit bigger tows such as Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or Wilderwil. The area has many day trippers from the Bern area, that's the reason that most attractions are already available. There will still be snow in higher up places.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

If you're interested in staying in Wilderswil, we stayed at a wonderful B&B last weekend.

Here's the link for my review:

http//www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1130522-d1418797-Reviews-Lavendelhaus-Wilderswil_Bernese_Oberland_Swiss_Alps.html:

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

Some of the hotels close for a break, but not all.

I have had good luck using the search engine at www.wengen-muerren.ch:

www.wengen-muerren.ch/index.php?id=155&L=1

Putting in dates in early to mid-May, it looks like a number of the nice hotels in Wengen, such as the Caprice, Schoenegg, Alpenrose, and Beau-site, will be open. In Mürren, try the Alpenruh and Bellevue.

There will be lots of places open in Grindelwald, which is a large village at a lower elevation (an dnot car-free like Wengen and Mürren). Gimmelwald is a tiny hamlet below Mürren, and may not have anything open at that time.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

I know the hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen will be open. Great location, food, views, etc. and reasonable.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

Thanks to you all for so many ideas!! I'll start looking into those areas.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

Try the www.bnb.ch website

7. Re: May Travel . . . lots of Hotels and B&Bs are closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 17:22