We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some info re: Bernese Oberland in mid-October

Woodbridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need some info re: Bernese Oberland in mid-October

We are going to be making our first visit to Switzerland. We will be there for only 5 days and 6 nights in mid-October and are starting and ending our trip in Basel, where we have a friend. We already plan to spend a day and night in Lausanne and want to spend a couple nights where we can see some spectacular alpine mountain/valley scenery, idyllic Swiss towns, and take a hike and perhaps see some waterfalls. We won't have a car so we will take the train from place to place. We originally considered Zermatt after Lausanne, but read that the Bernese Oberland region would offer more options if we only had time for one place or the other.

After reviewing some of the choices for a two-night base (October 14-16), I have been zeroing in on Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, and Wengen as a place to stay. Wengen appealed to me for the views and quiet tranquility, although there do not seem to be any hotel availabilities on our dates. There are a two or three places with availability in Murren but more choices down in Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen.

Are a lot of places likely to be closed in mid-October, particularly up in Murren and Wengen? What is the weather like there then? It seems like all my top choices for hotels are either booked or closed around then. We'd like to see Jungfraujoch and maybe some waterfalls. Any other top scenic suggestions for our short stay?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some info re: Bernese Oberland in mid-October

KPD650 Hello! mid October is really in between seasons for villages like Murren and Wengen, my choice would be Grindelwald. Lauterbrunnen being in the valley would not have as much daylight. if you can get a hotel in Grindelwald you are well on the way to Jungfraujoch and you could possibly also see the Staubbach falls outside Lauterbrunnen in a tound trip. Going up to Kleine Scheidegg from Grindelwald and then staopping off in Wengen on the way back, and having a stop in Lauterbrunnen, then changing trains at Zweiluchinen on the way back. If you really rushed you might get to Murren, but I would not want to plna on doing that. Have a look at the Jungfraubahn websire for train times www.jungfraubahen.ch/en

Woodbridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some info re: Bernese Oberland in mid-October

Thanks Kent! This is very helpful.

- Kurt

3. Re: Need some info re: Bernese Oberland in mid-October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bernese Oberland