We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

I am currently booked for 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen - in between a few days each in Luzern and Zermatt. Swissaholic proposed that I would be better off staying in Wengen, rather than Lauterbrunnen. I have never stayed in the Bernese Oberland region - I wanted to stay near Interlaken, but also close to the Jungfraujoch. My intention is to go to Jungfraujoch if the weather is nice; otherwise I plan to spend the day in Interlaken.

I was fascinated by Lauterbrunnen because of the waterfalls - I actually booked a room at Hotel Zurbriggen due to its proximity to the falls.

I realize that where to stay is a matter of personal choice, but now I'm wondering if I would be better off staying in Wengen. I am interested in your opinions.

Thank you for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,436 Reviews
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

They are very close so if you are planning to be out and about each day, it won't make that much difference really.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

Hi 04sox

You did not say in your earlier post that you were staying in Lauterbrunnen. I assumed as you asked whether the train ride 'would it be worth it, from a sightseeing perspective' that you were just visiting. I was not suggesting you stay in Wengen but continue your journey there for the views.

All the mountain resorts in that area are very popular and appeal to different people for a variety of reasons. I would not wish you to change your plans as the result of a misunderstanding. You can get more information at:- www.jungfrauregion.ch/

Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

Swissaholic,

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your input.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

I stayed in Lauterbrunnen in 2009 and absolutely loved the place (Loved Wengen too) Taking a walk after dinner just enjoying those falls was fantastic

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

>My intention is to go to Jungfraujoch if the weather is nice; otherwise I plan to spend the day in Interlaken.<

Why would you want to spend the day in Interlaken? It's a busy transit/tourist hub with few redeeming qualities other than as a transit hub.

Whether you stay in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen you will be in the heart of the most beautiful part of the Swiss Alps.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,436 Reviews
Interlaken
Interlaken
Swiss Alps
Swiss Alps
Switzerland
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
714 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

Can smeone tell me more about hotel Hotel Zurbriggen. I have not heard of this in Lauterbrunnen. I agree about spending the little time you have in the mountains and leave Interlaken for changing trains.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Hartford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

Dear Happy. I'm sorry, I confused where I was staying in Zermatt (Hotel Zurbriggen) with where I'm staying in Lauterbrunnen. I'm actually booked to stay at Hotel Stabbauch in Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you for the advice regarding Interlaken.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Ipswich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

For just two days, Lauterbrunnen is a good bet, as it is not too far up the side of the mountain. Wengen is quite a bit further up and getting back and forth may take too much precious time although the views are spectacular!. The Lauterbrunnen Valley is a great place to walk, and it's 72 waterfalls will keep you busy. You will be sorry you're only spending two days in the region though. Interlaken is, as the other poster has said, a hub, sort of gateway to the Oberland, and although enjoyable for a bit of retail therapy, for two days you want to be up close and personal with those gorgeous 4K giants.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
9. Re: Wengen v. Lauterbrunnen - Swissaholic Please Respond!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:15