We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

So I'm still working on our 2.5 day plan. I think I've reached the point where I'm not sure what I'm doing anymore. The thing is, I'm not sure the kids will want to do a walk immediately upon arriving in Murren, so I've changed things around. Is the following possible? I have a terrible habit of trying to fit in too much for what time actually allows.

Background: Family of 5 (kids are 5, 7 and 10) We are arriving in BO from Basel. Our dates are July 22, 23 and 24. Staying in Murren.

Day 1- Basel to Murren

Train from Basel to Thun- check bags in a locker at the station and then walk into the town. Walk up to the castle and maybe spend an hour or so visiting the castle. Then come back down to the station, get the bags and get on a boat. Take the boat to Interlaken and then head to Murren. [Its possible that we could take the train instead. Would this make more sense? I'm also wondering if there's more of interest in Thun itself as well as visiting the castle]

Day 2 – Murren

Am: Murren to Schilhorn for breakfast or maybe just a snack since breakfast is included in our hotel

Pm: Take Allhenhundel funicular to top. Do North Face Trail in afternoon (not the one to Grutshap, the other one with the fun things for the kids)

Day 3 – Murren

AM: Mannlichen-KS walk

8am depart from Murren to Lauterbrunnen.

train Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

Explore Wengen for 30min or so. Buy snack in Wengen to take with us.

Walk across town to take lift to Mannlichen. (

Walk Mannlichen to Klein S. (2.5mi 1.5hrs)

Take KS train to Grindelwald.

Have lunch in Grindelwald or en route. Would like to explore a little bit.

Other option is to take the train to KS rather than walk from Wengen and then take train from KS to Grindelwald or take cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen. Then go down cable car to Grindelwald

Pm: Lake cruise to Brienz. Visit work carvers museum (Museum Holzbildhauerei), visit store (Kirchhofer Brienz, Hauptstrasse 41, large selection of watches, music boxes, cuckoo clocks and woodcarving items from Brienz) Train back. [we don't plan to do Ballenburg]

Evening: 830pm Folklore evening at Sports place in Murren

Day 4:

Take Golden Pass to Montreux. Staying in Vevey for two nights. Then to Gruyeres for one night before heading back to Basel.

I'm thinking that we could switch day 2 and 3 if the weather is bad on day 2. We could then do the trains/cable cars instead of the walk to KS.

I'd love your thoughts as to if this is doable.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

It's a lot to do. Especially on day 4. If you spend any time at all in Grindelwald you may not be able to get the boat trip, museum visit etc and still get back in time for your cultural evening.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

Hmm, do you think we'd be better off switching the Mannlichen-KS walk with the Allmendhudel walk. so we'd head to Wengen after Schilhorn? My only concern with that is if we postpone Schilhorn and afternoon walk to day 3 because of bad weather on day two... I really think the kids would like the Allmendhudel walk... then again, I guess if we have to switch day 2 and 3, we could simply decide then to do the train on day 2 to KS instead of the walk which would shorten the trip, and allow more time to get to Brienz.

Do if day 2 is nice:

Day 2: Schilhorn and then Wengen to do Mann to KS walk and Grindelwald

Day 3: Allmenhundel walk and Lake Brienz then back to Murren for 830 cultural evening

if day 2 is rainy:

Day 2: Head to Wengen, do train to KS and train? to Grindelwald and then do Lake Brienz

Day 3: Schilhorn and then Allmenhundel and in Murren for cultural evening

Do you think that works better?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

I'm back to planning again :-) Just bumping this up for more input on the order to do things. (including things to do in Thun other than castle....)

4. Re: 2.5 day plan in Bernese Oberland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bernese Oberland