We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hiking route is better?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
which hiking route is better?

Hi,

I wonder which hiking route is better to do around july in terms of:

1. Pretty and with some different views of männlichen-kleine scheidegg (which we will do).

2. Easy to do, almost flat very light up or down.

3. Open air and prefer not inside forest or deep grass.

4. Popular - many people are doing it so won't feel "alone".

I mean if we should do Engstligenalp - Lägerstein - Engstligenalp near Adelboden:

myswissalps.com/hikes/showhikedetails.asp…

or grutschalp-murren? We will stay around interlaken.

Second question regarding snakes - let's say I prefer NOT to meet one, which of the following are more secure?

1. grutschalp-murren: inside forest - problematic?

2. Engstligenalp - Lägerstein - Engstligenalp

3. Lauterbrunnen to trummelbach falls - going through meadows at the end. High grass : Problematic?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which hiking route is better?

Neither 1 or 3 are problematic in the sense you have suggested. The Grutschalp walk is along a gravel path yes part is under trees but not in deep woods. Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach is on tarmac path and crosses cut meadows.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hiking route is better?

I would recommend the Grutchalp to Murren or even going down as far as Gimmelwald.

I have been hiking in Switzerland since 1984 and have never seen a snake anywhere. I ran into an Ibex sleeping on the trail in an obscure spot above the Trummelbach falls and stumbled on a small Chamoise in the fog on the trail to Marchegg. These are the only two instances where I encountered any animals at all other than cows, sheep and goats. Both events were well away from popular trails and population centers.

3. Re: which hiking route is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:17