We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

My wife and I will be staying 5 days mid July in Wilderswil outside of Interlaken after completing a river cruise from Amsterdam to Basal. I have been planning day trips as I will have purchased a first class Swiss Pass for our stay. After reading a few other threads the though came that we may want to take a day trip into Italy. Would love to hear any ideas in regards to this as to whether it would be worth a day and where would be the best to go and see. Also, I'm assuming that the Swiss Pass would only take us to the border then another ticket would need to be purchased. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$254.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$254.00*
Lucerne to Jungfraujoch Full-Day Trip...
564 Reviews
from US$243.60*
Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Day Trip...
72 Reviews
from US$239.50*
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Brian if you check the train times on the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en I think you will find it too farfo a day trip. I have oftern thought of doing this but decided it is just too far.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,296 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Your Swiss pass will take you to Domodossola and back with no additional ticket needed. Domo is about 30mins from Brig and accessible on the international trains that run through Spiez or Brig.

From Interlaken Ost you can reach Domodossola in about 2 hours. Stresa on lago Maggiore is about another 40 mins on from Domo...

Domodossola has a pretty centre easily walkable from the station. Stresa - if you want to spend the time - is a stunning resort on Maggiore with a lovely old town and three small islands across the way - Madre, Bella and Pescatori. You can make a loop on a lake boat from island to island. I have been to Stresa and back from Martigny in one day and the time involved is approximately the same as from Interlaken Ost. And it was a wonderful day. Only thing to remember is you need seat reservations on the trains from Brig to Stresa and back to Brig... For trains etc see www.sbb.ch/en And with your pass just go to the station at Interlaken and tell them you want a ticket RT to Stresa. They will sell you the ticket which is a add on to the pass that you already have...and get your seat res. for you.

Mentioned in this post
Spiez
Spiez
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

A lot of tourists do a day trip from the Berner Oberland to Zermatt and this takes two and a half an hour. However, not my advice.

From Wilderswil to Domodossola it takes two hours. To Stresa two hours and three quarters. To Milano three hours and a quarter. So decide by yourself.

Burt I would only consider it when it is pouring the whole day in Berner Oberland and it is sunny in the South.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,296 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

marshmellowyou - Could you please read posts before posting yourself?? I rather believe I gave all the times (which you confirmed!) in my post above.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Hambagahle I am so rorry that I got on the wrong side of YOU. However, would you just have looked more carefully, you would have been able to recognise that I wrote it at the same time and that I was not able to feel that you did the same. But again, I am so sorry I broke into your private garden. :-|

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate the insight and advice

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

With all the magnificent scenery and things to do surrounding you at Wilderswil you want to go to Italy?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

Westendgaz,

Thank you for your response but that is why I posted the question for whether it would be worth the time. Being relatively new to TA forums I must admit that I find many of the contributors quite abrupt and at time condescending in their responses so I believe this will be the last time I participate in the forums and will allow others to brave the waters and just read what is said

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

I think once you get there Brian you will see why I asked. I apologize profusely if I seemed abrupt. That was never my intention. But you are going to one of the most beautiful areas on the planet, with more than enough to see and do right around you. While Italy is wonderful, Switzerland is drop dead gorgeous.

Keep on asking questions here and coming back for information. While you will get your share of abrupt from time to time, it's all offered to help you make decisions. And even abrupt or condescending replies have a certain usefulness.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Interlaken to Italy

westendgaz is absolutely correct.