We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Oxford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

My husband and I will be arriving in Zurich on 29th of August. We will be taking the train to Lucerne to stay 2 nights. Then onto Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights then up to Murren 2 nights and 1 night in Wengen. Is it silly to change hotels in Berner Oberland area this often. I wanted to have the different experiences but did not want to backtrack to hotels after exploring the different areas. I didn't know if the trains or lifts would be too expensive. We will be hiking throughout but not backpacking. I've heard of luggage transport by the lifts (trains).

Please help as this is our first time visiting.

Our last 2 nights will be spent onto Oeschinen lake (?) spelling in Kandersteg then back to airport and home.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren are all quite close to each other. You can even see them from one another. I wouldn't waste precious holiday time moving to three different hotels in the area. Pick one and stay there. There's lots to see in the area but you can easily see it all from one base without all the check-in, check-out , move check -in, check-out stuff.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

Hi Jeanne M,

Switzerland is costly,both hotels and trains.

From the point of convenience and time savings Lauterbrunnen makes a good base. It is located in a valley with Wengen located above it ( 15 minutes by train ) enroute Jungfraujoch on one side; and Muerren above it ( 25 minutes ) enroute Schilthorn on the other. I suppose since you have 5 days in the BO you would want to visit some other places also in which case Lauterbrunnen is a good base.

Some backtracking will be involved if you stay at Wengen and Muerren. Also,change of hotels would cut into your sightseeing time due to packing/unpacking,transfer from hotel to station and journey time.

On the other hand both Wengen and Muerren are excellent bases for great walks and views of the Alps.

This site will make the train routes and fares clear - sbb.ch/en

You could then decide if making 3 bases at L,W,and M suits you cost-wise or not.

Again,since your trip is for 7/8 days,some variant of the Swiss Pass or the Half Fare Card would help minimise costs.

Check this site for details of Passes - myswissalps.com OR swisstravelsystem

Have fun.

arvind

PS. You have to move fast for hotel bookings since time is short.

Oxford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you for your reply. I have various reservations. Don't know which ones to expand on or give up. Was hoping to find out if its better to change hotels vs backtracking which would take time. Packing unpacking can be time consuming also. Plus experiencing different views may be nice?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,425 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

It really isn't worth changing hotels in this area, you will waste precious time moving. Wengen is I the middle of the area and if you stay here there will be less backtracking. You are able to travel in 3 different direction without retracing your steps. Wengen has good views over the mountains and the Lauterbrunnen valley.

Lauterbrunnen is in a valley so limited views but good transport links. Murren good mountain views but a lot of backtracking as it is right in the west of the area. There is also Grindelwald which is busier but has good transport links and accessibility to the mountains.

Enjoy your stay.

Oxford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you very much I will look into changing my hotels smudge99 to Wengen.

6. Re: Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17