We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Wengen

DALLAS
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Wengen

Hi,

I am looking for a hiking idea aroung Wengen. Are there good hikes around Wengen or are we better off going up to Gimmelwald? We are in good shape and looking for an intermediate level hike. The restaurant and lift around the Schilthorn are closed.

We will be in the area for 2 days and plan to do the Jungfrau the first day.

Thanks.

Opua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Wengen

hi mate! if you want to hike, Wengen is THE place to be. there are sooooo many tracks, for all sorts of fitness level and weather. I think the Jungfrau is overrated, but then I grew up there and am used to it. I suggest you grab a hiking map when your arrive and play it by ear (and weather conditions). Where ever you go I am sure you will love it.

happy travels!!!! :)

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Wengen

Check these websites for hiking options:

geocities.com/activityworkshop/…wengen.html

activityworkshop.net/hiking/…eiger.html

www.walkingswitzerland.com/walks/index.shtml

myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/…

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Wengen

When are you going? Your trip to the Junfraujoch will take most of a day so you only have one hiking day left. This time of year you are constrained by the weather even more than most times so. Having said that though I still agree with the advise you have already gotten. The Wengen/Kleine Scheiidegg are is one of the best for all around hiking in all of the Oberland. Temps in Wengen are around 60 today and forcast to be in the 50s for the rest of the week with a reasonable chance for sun. KS will be in the 30s with the same sun probability.

If you are going soon and the weather holds the walk from Wengernalp south past Stalden and all the way down to the Trummelbach Falls is nice. Great views of the high peaks above and at the end of the hike you can visit the Trummelbach Falls.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Wengen

Hi, as Mountainhopper asks, when are you going. I have hiked extensively around the Bernese Oberland and you won't be spoilt for choice. The hike from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is one of the best, and if once you have reached there, and eaten (and taken in the views), you can then hike to Mannlichan and take the cable car back to Wengen. By the way, I have just checked the web cam at Kleine Scheidegg, and there has been a fresh fall of snow.

Regards

John.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Wengen

You can take several hikes within that hike (Mannlichen) to add diversity and add a bit more challenge as well. The trails and maps are ridiculously easy to follow in this wonderful country. It's a haven for hikers and you will cry when you leave.

6. Re: Hiking in Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 14:18