We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss open?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss open?

Has anyone been to the Suisse Open? If so, how was it? It's in Gstaad from July 7-14.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss open?

I have been in Gstaad twice when the open was underway. I'm not much of a tennis fan so I didn't go to the matches but the tiny town of Gstaad does not have the charm of a tiny town when the open is there. It can be a mad house. If you're not into large crowds don't go.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss open?

Hi,

Good advice from mountaintopper above. But, mt, do you know if the nearby towns are similarly mobbed? It might be a good idea to stay in Saanen or in Chateau d'Oex and attend the matches from there.

You can easily walk from Saanen to Gstaad along a nice path in about 30-40 minutes. Or you can take the train and be there in about 5 minutes. Chateau d'Oex is about 10 minutes from Gstaad -- you can get there by bike in about 30 minutes.

Do you think that might work?

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss open?

I was staying in Lauterbrunnen at the times I went to Gstaad so I'm not sure about all the surrounding villages. We had to meet friends in Gstaad so I know the traffic both vehicle and pedestrian was pretty heavy. Your suggestion is a good one though. Personally I like Chateu Doex better than Gstaad.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss open?

I hope it's not all "that" crowded. We are big tennis fans, and we're taking our teenage daughter there for one night at the end of our Swiss hiking trip to see some of the opening rounds. We don't expect to see Roger Federer, but it should be some good tennis.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss open?

Hey, I'm gonna be in an apartment for two weeks in Chateau d'Oex this summer (4-18 Aug). Excited??? Nah, not a bit. Not a bit. HA!

I hope to really scour the area -- it's becoming my favorite in Switzerland.

s

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss open?

Well, I'm a tennis fan so I plan to be at the first round! Any info about the tournament?

There's also a polo cup in Gstaad in August. Is that worth going to?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss open?

It would depend on whether you are looking for high goal polo or like most of the people in Gstaad going to look at the people attending the matches. I don't think there's any high goal polo outside of England in the summer in Europe. I may be wrong but most high goal players are in Argentina in the Summer.

For tennis, the early matches would ,as everywhere, be less crowded than say the finals.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss open?

I guess I'm more interested in the people-watching and ambiance at the Polo cup. I like going to polo matches but I've never been to a real event, I might pop up for that too.

Georgia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss open?

Hi ..I went to the Swiss Open many years ago during a summer of college when I worked in Chateau d'oex...this summer my college tennis player daughter and I are returning .I am soooo excited!!

I, of course want to spend some time in Chateau d'oex for memories sake. Any ideas for a nice place to have dinner there?

We will be going to the tournament on Wed. only and we are basing our travels out of Montreux for 5 days.

I have really enjoyed all the info and suggestions on this forum!

BTW Swanday,she goes to college near Knoxville.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss open?

For AliATL,

Holy Moly! Have you taken your daughter to Chateau d'Oex before? Does she love it as much as you do?

It's too bad I'll miss you there by a month! I'd love to sit down with you & your daughter over a glass of wine.

And how did you manage to work there?? What a dream job! Do you have any hints for me for my two weeks? I plan to return to Gruyeres of course, maybe see Champex, buy expensive gourmet food in Gstaad, do some biking between Gstaad & Bulle. Anything else?

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for dinner in Chateau d'Oex (well, not yet anyway!). But if you want to dine in Gstaad, I LOVED the Bagatelle in Hotel Grand Chalet above town, and also loved the Chesery right in town.

I teach at a junior college in Knoxville -- is your daughter enjoying "higher education" here?

Have a wonderful trip!

s