We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

Hi

We're a family of five and we'll each take a suitcase. We're renting a car but probably we won't be able to fit in all the luggage. They tell me I can send some luggage on the train but don't rally know how this works, can anyone help us with the details?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

Hi, to use the baggage services usually discussed here, you have to have a train ticket for a passenger. You might want to send an email to Swiss Rail and enquire about shipping your bags without using the train as a passenger.

www.sbb.ch/en

Hope this helps.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,754 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

That does not make any sense. Either you should just take a train (then luggage is not an issue) or rent a bigger car...

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

Thanks for your comments

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

While you need a train ticket to ship luggage no one is going to check to be sure you personally take the train. OR send one of your party on the train. This would leave more space in the car.

But why a car? What on earth would you do with one in Gstaad in winter??? Parkigng costs a lot of money. You would be driving on ice and snow. Much better for all of you to take the train and then ship the bags.

The railways have a shipping service for baggage etc for non-train users but this involves sending it as cargo...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

H., I have had the luggage staff ask to see my ticket before they would take my luggage. It only happened once at Zurich airport but it wold be a complication to plan to ship the bags and then not be able to do so or to have to pay quite a bit more.

I do agree that it is folly to rent a car to drive to Gstaad. What are the ages of the children, if any, in your family of 5? Kids travel free or at very reduced rates on the train. There are car rental agencies in Gstaad so you could rent a car there if you want to visit the region on day trips and not worry about parking, etc.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

Maybe I didn't make myself clear! You MUST have a ticket to use the SBB baggage service. And you will almost certainly be asked for it. What you do not have to do, is to use the ticket. So if the car is really important to you, buy a second class round trip ticket and show them that.

What ages are the children? Under 6 - no charge. 6-16 half fare but you can buy a Junior Card which enables each child to travel with a parent who has a ticket. cost of the card is 30frs/child. You can travel in First class OR Second class and your children, each with a Junior Card, travel at no additional cost.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

No, you were clear, H. I was just emphasizing that they do ask on occasion before you ship the luggage. Happy Christmas!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

You, too, KM! And now that Christmas is over - Happy New Year!!!

9. Re: How can I get My luggage fronZurich to gstaad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 12:15