We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family winter vacation!

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family winter vacation!

Hi!

I would much appreciate your help with my travel planning to this beautiful country.

I am traveling with my wife and my 2 year old boy. I will have 6-8 days during winter (Feb-Mar).

So far, I have decided to take 3 days to be near the mountains, thinking of very relax days, warm drinks, some fun in the snow (but no skiing), nice short walks and enjoying beautiful scenery. For this I have chosen Grindelwald as the base.

Then, I would like to go to Lucerne for another 3-4 days, get to know the city and make day trips to Bern and any other places you can recommend.

So, my final questions are:

-February or March?

- Is Grindelwald a good base for some relax and cozy days? Which activities and day trips would you recommend from here?.

-Which scenery train rides are possible in the Grindelwald-Lucerne region?.

-Which Day trips do you recommend from Lucerne?.

Thanks a lot for your time!

1 reply
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,754 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family winter vacation!

Have you reserved your hotel in Grindelwald? If not you need to know that February is about as HIGH season as it gets in a ski resort and getting a hotel for a couple of nights might be very very difficult. If you do not have a hotel - book one now. www.myjungfrau.ch

If you come in March it will be a lot easier to find hotels - in fact to have a choice. And the days are longer and the weather a bit warmer.

Staying for a few days in Luzern is a really great idea. It makes an excellent base for day trips and is a very nice small city besides that. www.luzern.com/en

Day trips from Luzern - please go to the Luzern forum page and read Top Questions about Luzern. All information is there...

Scenic train ride - from Interlaken Ost to Luzern is very scenic and part of the Goldenpass line. The train Grindelwald to the Jungfraujoch is also very scenic for the first half. After Kleine Scheidegg it goes into a long series of tunnels (30mins or so maybe more) and they are not scenic at all! But once you are there you have wonderful views to the start of the Aletsch glacier and the Mönch and Jungfrau mountains.

Reply to: Family winter vacation!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald