We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to switzerland

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
shropshire, england
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to switzerland

Hi is there anyone thet can give me some advice on flying to switzerland. Im hiring a car which ever airport I fly into but as its my first trip I would like to know which would be my best bet if im staying in Grindelwald ?Cheers cal

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to switzerland

I've always had the best luck flying into Zurich. But I come from the US and there are lots more flights to Zurich than anywhere else. In the travel sites I have seen flights from the UK to Basil which would put you slightly closer to the OB. Like most major airports Zurich has rental car counters right in the terminal and if you have booked ahead of time you can get in and out quite quickly. It's a little over two hours drive to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. I've never drivven from Basil so I don't know the drive time.

Not sure of the details of your trip but it may serve you better to get a pass and take the trains instead of hiring the car. The trains go almost everywhere and there are several must see places that you can't get to by car.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to switzerland

Be sure to check renting a car once you get to Grindelwald as there are extra fees for renting at the airport - you may find the train fare is less than the fees! Additionally, you might find you don't need a car but a few days instead of the entire time you are there.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to switzerland

I have flown many times from London Heathrow to Zurich. I would forget the car hire and let the train take the strain. At Zurich airport you just need to go down the escalator and your'e on the station platform, where you can get a comfortable express train to Interlaken Ost via Bern. At Interlaken you change trains to Grindlewald.

If you are driving, you will miss out on some spectacular scenery as all your concentration will be on driving on the right hand side of the road.

Whatever your decision, have a great trip.

Regards

John.

4. Re: Flights to switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 16:19