We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Grindelwald

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
667 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Grindelwald

Hi all,

I had another enquiry. My overall stay in Switzerland is 5 days, and I was planning to stay the whole of it in Grindelwald.

Just recently, I was thinking to maybe divide those 5 days and add another city/place to it, such as Lucerne. What do you think?

However, the disadvantage is that I hate to pack and unpack, a friend told me stay 5 days in Grindelwald, and you can take a day trip (1 whole day for example) in Lucerne, and thats enough. Says that 1 day is very enough. And each day you can make different day trips, instead of taking packing up and taking a hotel somewhere else, and unpacking again..... Does it sound reseasonable?

What do you suggest?

I'm sure swandav as usual gives the best answers ;-) thanks buddy you're so helpful!!!! :-D you should be a tour guide, seriously, or maybe you are? :-O

Cheers

Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

Hi,

do you rent a car or you travel by train?

If you travel by train, I think it is better, that you will stay for two nights in Lucerne. The reason is, that you need 2 hours from Interlaken to Lucerne by train. I can't remember the excactly travel time from Grindelwald to Interlaken, but I think it is about 45 minutes. But you can find it out: www.sbb.ch

Lucerne and the greater area offers a lot of sights: Mount Pilatus, Mount Titlis, Mount Rigi.

Grindelwald is a nice village, too. Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg or Mount Schilthorn, Wengen and Mürren is nearby. It is a great place to stay.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

Wow, what a great boost to my ego -- wowee!! I'm gonna have to read this every morning now!

Anyway, really you can't go wrong with either choice. It is too long for a day-trip imo -- I like to keep travel down to two hours in each direction. But, like you, I also hate to pack up & check out, then check in & unpack. So really it's a toss up. If you feel that you won't be back to Switzerland in the next few years and you have a strong desire to see Luzern, then go for it.

Do you have the train scheduler at www.rail.ch? You can get details for your trip there.

Have fun!

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

I tend to agree with your friend. I'd stay in the mountain villages and take day trips. Especially since you have only five days. It's only my opinion but I'd say that the majority of the mountains in and around the Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald valleys are far superior to Titlus and Pilatus. If you want to go see Lucerne do it as a day trip. It's my favorite city in all of Switzerland but but it can be done in a day. I'd skip trying to see the surrounding mountains and focus on the ones you'll have right at your doorstep in the Oberland.

Enjoy your trip.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

Hi, I would agree with the above posters. Stay in Grindlewald. I had a look at the timetable for you and you can get a train from Grindlewald to Luzern at 08.35. It travels via Berne and Olten, arriving at Luzern at 12.04, with only one train change.

Departure from Luzern at 16.53 via Brienze, arriving back in Grindlewald at 19.54.

A long day, with almost five hours in Luzern, and travelling there and back via different routes.

Hope this is of help.

Regards

John.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
667 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

Thank you all for your reply.

Actually I'm not planning to see the surrounding areas in Luzern, I just want to visit the city itself and no where else. So maybe as you guys mentioned that a day trip is enough, right?

Moreover, because my trip to Switzerland will be only for 5 days, so I thought it would be complicated to stay for another 2 nights in Luzern.

Thanks all :-)

6. Re: 5 days in Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald