We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Escondido...
Level Contributor
376 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Can anyone advise me on the Swiss pass? I will be in Grindelwald for one week and was thinking about a 4 day saver pass. This includes all trains, boats, lifts and a discount on the Jungfrau and Schilthorn? I will have a car, so I don't need the train pass. Is there any other passes that would be better? We want to see Lucern, Geneva and the Berner Oberland area. Is seeing the Jungfrau and Schilthorn enough or would you also see the Pilatus

Mountain? We would like to see the Ballenburg museum and some of the museums in Lucern. Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks for advice-

Darla

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

First, you should use the SBB website to find the train fares for your planned itineraries.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexipass costs 252 CHF or 63 CHF/day. On day(s) when the fares would be less than 63 CHF, you could buy ticket(s) at a 50% discount.

An alternative would be to buy a 1-month Half Fare Card which costs 99 CHF. With the HFC, you could purchase all tickets at a 50% discount.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Why Geneva? It's a long trip from Grindelwald and its just another city, why not spend more time locally?

Definately Ballenberg, but it's not worth using Swiss pass for this. You can easily cost it out on the SBB site, but you really need to do a lot of miles to make the Swiss Pass worthwhile, the half fare pass comes out better often.

I would say that Schilthorn enough, you won't really get much from Jungfraujoch after this, but it is worth going up as far as Kleine Scheidegg.

Lucerne is a good trip. It's also worth some local visits, Murren, Wengen, the bus trip over the top to Meiringen, the walks from First or Pfingsteg locally, Interlaken.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
376 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Thanks for the advice on the Swiss pass. We bought the 4 day pass. I want to see the Chillon castle, gruyeye and Broc. Maybe do the Chocolate train. Does anyone know if the swiss pass covers this? Also,does anyone know if Ballenburg museum, Mt.Palatus and Lucern doable in one day? Is that too much for one day? I will be staying in Grindelwald for one week.

Thanks- Parris

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Parris

No way can you do Ballenberg and Pilatus in one day. The journey between the two will take at least an hour by car, two hours by train to Lucerne,and then the journey up Pilatus.

You need a full day at least at Ballenberg to it justice.

if you want a good museum in Lucerne to visit try the Transport Museum again allow at least half a day.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
376 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

Swisslover,

How about Ballenberg in the morning and Lucern sightseeing the rest of the day and evening? I would like to see some of the museums in Lucern . What do you think of the Forttress? Is it worth seeing? I was thinking of doing the golden round pass one day and the Ballenburg museum and city tour the next day? Any other recommendations?

6. Re: Swiss pass and reccomendations for trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald