We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald or or or ........

GTK
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald or or or ........

As part of 14-day trip to Switzerland in July 2009, am currently planning to stay three nights in Grindelwald or Wengen or (in that area) ......... Any recommendations / preferences / experiences?

Sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

I am sure that others will be along shortly with better advise regarding the comparison of these villages but my hubby and I stayed at Grindelwald several years ago and loved it. We were there in September and were blessed with gorgeous weather. We just pottered around and did some hikes, it was lovely.

We didn't have a car and just used the train system which was great.

14 days sounds wonderful, have a great trip.

Trish

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

Hi GTK,

One problem with Grindelwald in July is the number of tour busses there. Because it's the highest village that allows traffic, that's where they all go. They unload their hordes of passengers, and all those folks clog up the streets and swarm around the stores and eventually migrate to the train station for the trip up to the Jungfraujoch. The worst months are July-August.

For that reason, I recommend you choose a car-free town for your visit, which will seem really tranquil in comparison. That means Wengen or Mürren -- you can see them both at

www.wengen.ch

I like the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen and have stayed there two times.

www.alpenrose.ch

Of course you'll see all those day-trippers when you're on the train up to the peaks, but that's a relatively limited time.

Good luck!

s

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

Grindelwald crowded? Reminds me of the old story of the Aussie who lived in the outback and decided to walk to the city to see what it was like. On the first day of walking he met two people, on the second day he met four and on the third day he met six. Deciding that he couldn't cope with such vast crowds he turned and went back home.

We have been to Grindelwald in August at least a dozen times and have never noticed any crowds. There are a few coaches but, in comparison to Dublin, it is always pretty empty. Grindelwald and Murren have the best views but, especially since the Lauterbrunnen funicular closed, it is very expensive to get to Murren and back down again into the Lauterbrunnen valley. However, I would recommend Murren if you want to spend your three nights in total peace and quiet with some of the world's best views (always assuming you don't get torrential rain for the entire time, always a possibility I am afraid)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

Oh gosh, in contrast with LondonBob, I've seen Grindelwald sidewalks so crowded that I had to walk in the streets. And shops so crowded I couldn't get in the door. Of course, this was in 2001, so it might have changed.

Now, I do like the village, and have skied from it twice. But once I stayed in August and saw what happens -- I haven't been back.

s

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

HI

I worked in the area for 4 months last summer. Although I didn't get time to explore Grindlewald in the height of the season, I did get customers mentioning that the trains up the Jungfraujoch got very busy. Good days when there weren't any clouds in the sky were particularly bad on the transport.

I'd go for Wengen if you wan't some peace and quiet. I do however love Grindlewald and wouldn't really knock it at all. Beautiful.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

Yes, I've seen the tour buses unloading in Grindelwald. Luckily I was staying in Muerren and had just taken the wonderful train/funicular/gondola daytrip over to Grindelwald.

Yes, the funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Muerren is closed, but it's been replaced by a gondola. So you can either get to Muerren from Lauterbrunnen gondola or from Stechelberg gondola...both of which are covered 100% by Swiss Passes.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

I'd vote for Wengen. Much more of an alpine experience. No traffic and far less people. As Swandav says I too have been in Grindelwald when the sidewalks were overflowing into the streets and the line for the First Gondola was blocks long!

8. Re: Grindelwald or or or ........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald