We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes for young children to swim

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lakes for young children to swim

My husband is half Canadian and has great memories of learning to swim in the lakes there. We are planning a holiday in Switzerland and wondered if there were any clean lakes with a beach area which don't have a sharp drop off - ie suitable for toddlers to splash around in. We tried the beach at Bonigen last year but found it to be a bit dirty on the shoreline. We will be staying in Grindelwald initally but don't mind travelling further afield for a few days.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,229 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakes for young children to swim

interlaken.ch/erlebnisse/…

this website will give you few ideas - as to cleanliness you have nothing to worry about, Switzerland is spotless!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakes for young children to swim

One thing to remember especially for lake Brienz is that the water running in was part of a frozen glacier only hours before it arrives in the lake. Even in summer it's cold. Lake Thun is a little better but still a consideration.

London
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakes for young children to swim

I have mixed memories of swimming in Canadian lakes. I can remember treading water because I hit a warm spot and everything around me was freezing. I did however love the salt-free and chlorine-free swimming. I've also swum in Swiss lakes - not in Lake Brienz - reasons explained by mountaintopper. In case you are thinking of a two-centre holiday, one idea for a toddler is Arosa, which has a child-friendly beach in a little swimming lake, and you can take out pedalos and watch a light and sound display on the other lake, the Obersee. Another high altitude child-friendly resort with a small swimming lake is Bettmeralp - swimming was cold but nice. I've enjoyed swimming in Lake Lucerne and Lake Lugano, but I can't recall if the drops were sudden or if shallows were cordoned off. Perhaps someone else will advise.

4. Re: Lakes for young children to swim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald