We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Stockport, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Hi, I need some tips please. I am looking to travel to Grindelwald in June for a few days. We will be flying from the UK so the first question is Zurich or Geneva - which is more convenient if the final destination is Grindelwald? Also, how easy is the rest of the journey by train?

Would anyone know of some competitively priced accomodation in Grindelwald, maybe on a B&B basis?

Thanks in advance.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Can't help with the accomodation but I can say that Grindelwald is just about equadistant from Geneva and Zurich. Travel time from Zurich may be a few minutes less but not much. I would choose whichever you can get the best connections and airfares.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Can't add to mountaintopper's advice on trains except to say it is very easy and be on time. Check times etc on www.rail.ch

Look at www.bnb.ch for bed and breakfast places, sorry I can't recommend any in Grindelwald from personal experience.

Stockport, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Yeah I thought it would be close between Zurich or Geneva. Thanks for the replies. Anyone any suggestions on accomodation?

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Grindelwald from Zurich should take just over 2 1/2 hours with 2 changes probably Bern and Interlaken Ost, I think.... It's an easy, pretty trip and goes by quickly. You might check out the small Garni Hotel Cabana in Grindelwald which might work for you......have a good trip!

Stockport, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

How and when would you purchase the train tickets? When you get there or in advance?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

I usually get them when I get there. You have to walk right past the ticket counter to get to the trains. The train station is attached to the airport building in both places.

Stockport, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

Thanks for the quick response - what do you think the best value ticket would be if I also wanted to do some excursions whilst in Grindelwald?

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

You can get details of various swiss passes/cards on:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/

and regional pass on:

swisspasses.com/railpass/…

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

I understand that the Swiss Tranfer Ticket you buy is a return ticket from Swissborder of one of the Switzerland airport to you destination (valid for 1 month) The transfer Tickt cannot be purchased in Switzerland. GBP 101 PP. Jungfraujoch info e mailed me and confirm that you do nt get discount on the Top to Europe which is CHF166pp.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grindelwald from Geneva/Zurich

With Swiss Transfer Ticket you would not get any discount on your travel to Jungfraujoch.

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald