We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

I plan to visit Grindelward in end April but just learnt that the gondola does not operate in end April 2011 from Grindlewald to First. How to I get to scenic Bachalpsee lake from Grindlewald?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

You would have to hike up, which would probably require snowshoes and would be quite a serious undertaking with a thousand metres to climb. I'm not sure to what extent the way might be exposed to avalanches either... I would not advise it.

The lake will possibly still be frozen anyway, in which case and you would not get any of those views of mountains reflected on the surface of the water that you see in photos. The Häxeseeli, which is just a bit higher up than the Bachalpsee in the same area, stays frozen well into June.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

As Neuch says the only way to get there would be hiking. The hike from Grindelwald would involve an elevation change of almost 3000 ft just to First and another 250 up to the lake. The last section is the part almost guaranteed to be snow covered. If you really have your heart set on seeing the views and you are ready for a hike you could try taking the bus to Grosse Scheidegg and walking across the path to First. The elevation change from GS to First is only about 1000 ft and it is a very gentle slope much easier to negotiate than trying to go right up from Grindelwlad especially if there is snow still on the path. The views from First are quite good and are just about the same panorama as those from the higher up Bachalpsee. Be aware though that because the gondola is not operationg the bergstation shop and resturant won't be open either.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

I would also not advise the hike to Bachalpsee in April when the lake would be frozen.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

When would be the "cut off point" in terms of later on in the year when the trails would be snow-covered again?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

Very variable from year to year... anything up to mid/late October **should** be OK... in fact in each of the last two years I have been able to get up above 2,000 metres above Lauterbrunnen in mid November without snow.

On the other hand, you could equally well get snow in September/early October that would cover the paths at least for a few days.

On the whole though, September and October tend to be good months for hiking here.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

A good indicator usually is the schedule for the lifts. The Mannlichen cablecar and gondola and the Grindelwlad/First gondola shut down for the fall season on Oct 23 this year.

Bloomington...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

Is it possible to take a bike going to Lake Bachalpsee from First?

I will be going to First then take the bike trail from First to Grindelwald. Before proceeding with my bike trip, I want to go to the lake. So, is it possible to do that?

Edited: 03 August 2011, 22:00
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

I assume you mean during the time of year when the trails are not snow covered so the answer is yes.

Bloomington...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

Yes, this is going to be in early September.

Thanks for the quick response.

10. Re: How to get to Bachalpsee lake in end April 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald