We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black river!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Black river!

Does anyone know why the river Lutchein ,which runs down the valley from Grindelwald, has been SO black this past week? Has a new piece of the Eiger collapsed perhaps? It seemed to change colour about a week ago and is definitely carrying more deposit than usual.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black river!

I don't know about that river but I can tell you that rivers here that run from the mountains will change color very dramatically with the different layers of snow that are melting in the summer. For example, volcanic ash is quite dark and is in layers in the snow when we have a volcano erupt here in the winter.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 00:59
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black river!

From my experience while fishing, glacier-fed rivers are darker when it is cooler as they are clear water then and they become whiter when it's warm and the glacier melts into them and creamy like milk-coffee when it was haevily raining and mud and deposits are carried. This can change within minutes and the rain may have fallen in a distance up-river, so that you even didnt notice it.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black river!

The river is not called the Scwartzlutschiene for nothing it must be a regular phenoemonen!

Edited: 09 July 2011, 09:25
4. Re: Black river!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald
Recent Conversations