We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Grindelwald

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
584 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Grindelwald

In July we'll be arriving in Grindelwald by train from Kleine Scheidegg. Then we want to take the lift to First. That's about a 10-minute walk, I think, and a good way to see some of the town. No problem.

But on the way back, we will of course come down the same lift, and we want to leave via gondola to Mannlichen (en route to Wengen). Which means getting from the foot of the First lift to a few hundred metres west of Grund Station.

Is there a best way to do that?

sbb.ch is indicating walk-bus-walk but it's not as clear as I'd like and I can't find any details about the bus service,

Mentioned in this post
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

Instead of going down to Grund station just follow the main road out Grindelwald in the Interlaken direction and you will come to the Mannlichen cableway. It is about ten minutes from the centre of the village.

Mentioned in this post
Grund
Grund
68 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
584 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

That sounds good, thanks.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

You can also just take the BOB train from the upper station down to the Grund station then walk the couple of blocks to the gondola station.

Mentioned in this post
Grund
Grund
68 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
584 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

Mostlybytrain, I see what you mean about the main road, but it looks as if it's still 2.4km (26 minutes) from BGF (First lift) to GGM (gondola to Mannlichen). And the bus only runs once an hour. We may decide to walk it, but I expect to be tired by then. Is a taxi a reasonable option?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
714 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

Try looking at www.sbb.ch, enter Grindelwald to Grindelwald Grund. The train or bus leaves the village center every 8-10 minutes. Have a great trip. This gondola ride to Mannlichen is beautiful. The walk to town center is an easy one from First.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

I've every confidence in you able to walk it!

You could always break for a rest and stop for a coffee and sticky bun!

7. Re: Getting around Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:41
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald