We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

We have two nights / 3 full days in Grindelwald in the first week of January (will be coming from Zurich and likely Luzern area for a few days prior to this) and looking for some help planning our activities. Some basic info -- we are 30, active and fit, adventurous but not out to be stupid by getting in above our experience levels. We want to hike, toboggan (have only done winter sledding on a small scale here at home), snowshoe (done it a few times), and cross-country ski (have done this for over 20 years but not on extremely hilly areas, husband is novice) during our stay. My husband is a VERY novice downhill skiier and I am only slightly better but we would consider a lesson and some beginner slopes if you think it would be worth it just for the experience (if it would just be expensive and not too enjoyable or not worth spending only a single day on it, we can skip it in favor of other outdoor pursuits). From my research so far, it looks like the long toboggan run above Grindelwald also involves a 2.5 hour hike, but would you recommend any other few-hour long hikes that are not extremely technical? Would the 15km sledge run be fun for beginners or would you say stick with a shorter option? Also, is there a good place nearby to cross-country ski? I only see downhill ski info on the Jungfrau website. Finally, what would be our best bet for snowshoeing? I realize this is a lot of activities and we may not get it all done, but want to have some ideas before we go so that we can pick and choose what we feel like / have time for when we get there.

Also, is the Schilthorn worth dedicating the time to in our short stay or will we get enough similar beautiful views in our various activities without the cost/time of this trip?

If any of the above activities at our skill levels would be better done somewhere on our free day near Luzern, feel free to advise on that.

Finally, is there any website you would recommend to help me in understanding how the towns/mountains/cable cars all connect together in this area? Maybe we will just have to get there and see it, but I am not getting a good picture in my mind of where things are located relative to each other or how it works to hop on the ski resort cable cars to get from one place to the next.

Thanks in advance for any help with my many questions!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

Hi cmdtravel,

When exactly will you be in Grindelwald? I ask because there is a famous ski race that takes place from Wengen around the middle of the month -- that may tie up some of the slopes and the lifts. But it would be a lot of fun, I think, to go and hang out and watch the events.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good and detailed map that shows the entire region, but here is a link where you can see it broken down into sections:

jungfrau.ch/en/…

It is broken down into the three ski areas: Grindelwald/First, Kleine Scheidegg, and Mürren/Schilthorn. If you get familiar with each area, and compare to a map (google maps works well to orient yourself), you should have a good idea of how to get around.

I think it would be great fun to have some ski lessons, but really you would need a minimum of three mornings, I think. And for novice skiers, it will kill your legs for a few days afterwards.

Here's a link for cross-country skiing:

jungfrauregion.ch/en/…Cross_Country_Skiing

Have fun as you plan!

s

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

Swandav, we will be there from the 3d-5th of January, so probably a little early for the races you mention. Thanks for the information.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

I too am interested in the same activities for an upcoming trip. I will be in wengen over Christmas for a few days and would like to spend our time outdoors doing the same activities swandav mentioned aboves. Thanks!

4. Re: Advice on winter activities - 3 days in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald