We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Topic
Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Hi,

I will be visiting Switzerland in June and plan to base in lauterbrunnen. On our way back from Jungfrajoch, we would have couple of hours to spend in Grindelwald. Any suggestions for how we can use this time, what can we see here?

We are not into sking and sports much, would prefer some nice views etc more.

Please share your suggestions.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Shopping and eating! Or you could take the cable way up to First.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Thanks for your reply.

I also looked up some attractions in Grindelwald like the bachalpsee lake which looked really amazing to me in the pics. There are couple of others as well. I don't know any details on how to reach there and how much time is needed etc. so not sure about feasibility to cover in 2-3 hrs.

Is it possible to cover one of these attractions like the lake or something else? If yes, how to go there? I will be reaching Grindelwald around 2 in afternoon and have no other plans after that. Only need to return to my hotel in Lauterbrunnen, so will have a couple of hours to spare I believe.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

No, Bachalpsee is a trip in itself. By the time you have got up early, gone to Jungfraujoch and walked around at altitude and come back down then Grindelwald will be a very welcome break for a drink and a gentle stroll. Perhaps add to this a trip up First if you really want to go up the mountains again.

Many people simply enjoy the town with it's souvenir shops, food shops and views.

Remember to get off the train in Grindelwald and not Grindelwald Grund. It changes direction at Grund then it's a few minutes up to Grindelwald.

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Going up to First is nice with terrific views. Their gulaschsuppe in the table service side is terrific! You also could take the First lift, and get off at Bort, which is on the way to First. this will cost less than the cableway to First and also take less time. The view of the north face of the Eiger from Bort is terrific, and it has a nice Berghaus with a terrace to have a drink and snack. Balchapsee and the walk from First there and back is terrific, but that is really not enough time. If you had the inclination, you can rent trotti bikes at Bort-they are kind of oversized scooters....and take them back down to Grindelwald. Great views and loads of fun, you can stop along the way for terrific pictures! Have a wonderful trip!

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Thanks for your suggestions. They are really helpful in planning the trip.

We will be starting from Jungfraujoch around 1-1.30 PM and will have the rest of the day to spare (only have to reach our hotel in lauterbrunnen). What options do we have for sightseeing on the way back?

-Should we get down at Grindelwald and go for a small stroll?

- Or is there some other scenic place to get down at and enjoy some good views?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

It's a good idea to spend some time at Kleine Scheidegg after you have come down through the tunnels and before you go down to Grindelwald. Wonderful views and opportunities for a small stroll.

Habe fun.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

I suggest that you stop on the way down in Kleine Schedigg, get off the train, and then hike down one station to Alpiglen, and get back on the train there. it is a beautiful hike, the views are amazing, and it will be within your time frame. Then ride the rest of the way down and if you still have time, have a drink or a snack in an outdoor cafe.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

Few more options for Grindelwald :

http://www.pfingstegg.ch/

jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/experiences/fun-activ…

9. Re: Couple of hours in Grindelwald: Suggestions for what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 07:16