We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mountain railway and lift pass for summer walking

Nottingham
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best mountain railway and lift pass for summer walking

We arrive into Zurich on 2nd August and then on to Grindelwald where we are staying for four nights

Subject to weather our plan would be three days of walking and then a less strenuous final half day before heading back

Day 1 - walk in Schynige Platte Faulhorn / first area

Day 2 - walk in kliene scheidigg area

Day 3 - walk in Lauterbrunen Murren Shilhorn area

Day4 - Interlaken / Brienz, possible boat trip

Having done some research there are numerous rail pass alternatives including swiss pass / half price pass / Jungfrau VIP etc but the way I see it with our planned itinery it would seem we are better going for the following:-

1. a standard rail ticket to and from Zurich - noting the scenic Lucerne option

2. a 4 day berner oberland pass which seems to include everything we plan to do and it we decide to go up to Shilhorn or Junfraujoch this would be half price

Also - if we have a very wet day we could go to Luzern

I have not been to the area for a number of years now and would welcome advice as to whether I have selected the best travel option and any recommendations on areas we plan to walk in / walks not to be missed

Many thanks in anticipation

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Schynige Platte
Schynige Platte
270 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Faulhorn
Faulhorn
104 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Interlaken
Interlaken
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mountain railway and lift pass for summer walking

Hi,

You really need to do the calculations. I am always hesitant about buying a regional pass or swiss pass of some type when your time in Switzerland is short. What I suggest you do is add up the cost of each of your planned trips using the Sbb.ch website noting that the pop up fare is the default fare and is the half fare price. To get the full fare double that amount. Add up all of your planned trips. That would be your full fare for all planned trips. Now if it rains and you eliminate one trip you saved money there. If you buy a pass there are no savings for rainy days. I would not decide until I got to Switzerland and find out what the 3 or four day forecast would be. I have been to his region in July when it rained several days straight. You don't want to be attempting JF or the other high Peaks when the weather is bad. So I suggest you hold off on any regional pass. You can buy them when you are in Switzerland. If I was going to consider any pass I would think about the half fare card. This does give you a 50 percent discount on all of the trips including your trip to JF and your fare from Zurich to Grindelwald RT. These two trips, will likely save you more using the half fare card, than the 120sf cost of the card. Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 29 June 2014, 11:22
Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
2. Re: Best mountain railway and lift pass for summer walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17