We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Grindelwald

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
5 posts
Save Topic
stay in Grindelwald

hi! my family( my hub, n kids 23,21,18,13,7 yrs old) n i r traveling to switzerland on the 25th of aug for ten days, so we get to zurich on 25th aug, n we were planning to make Grindelwald our base for a week perhaps. Need some guidance on whether to buy a swiss pass for 8 days or not? will the swiss pass work in all the places in and around grindelwald, or will i have to pay separately there?how much will it cost to travel from grindelwald to interlaken for so many of us, as i saw some activities in interlaken for the kids.....

is the weather going to be ok in grindelwald from 26th aug to 4/5th sept?? or shud we head to a different area of switzerland....need some expert advice , thank you in advance for any help

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Grindelwald

The only way of telling if the Swiss pass is suitable is to do the maths, remember that if you buy a pass the children under 16 go free if you ask at the same time for the family pass, and you will save money with a svaer pass. have a look at the Swiss Travel System website for the details . You will discounts with the Swiss Pass on the mountain railways , usually 50% but for the Jungfraujoch it is 25% from Wengen or Griindelwald, up to these villages it is free. As the weather who knows, just have a Plan B programme for bad weather, Berne is always worth a visit .

Edited: 30 July 2014, 22:48
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Grindelwald

Yes, you have to do the math.

www.swisstravelsystem.com for passes

www.sbb.ch for trains.

Your 7 year old and 13 year old would be covered under the any Swiss pass, or Half-fare card under the family pass, which you would get free when you purchase your passes, don't forget to ask for it. When you read the explanations on the Swisstravelsytem note that there are other types of Swiss passes. There is a Flexi- pass, which allows you to travel so many days in the month. All of the days can not be consecutive. The days in between allow you to purchase tickets at half price. This pass also has a 25 percent discount of Jungfrauhoch. Another discount is allowed if all of your family always travels together. This is called a Saver Pass. But all of you must be traveling each day together on the train.

Another option would be to look for the half-fare card. This costs 120sf for those 16 years or older and entitles you to half fare on all trains, ferries, cable cars and Mt. Trains. You only pay for the rides then that you take. There is a 50 percent discount with this card on Jungfrauhoch. If you use the Mt. trains and lifts and go everyday on the trains you probably might benefit from the 8 day pass. However, only you can really determine that because you are the ony one who really knows what you plan to do.

Go to the Sbb.ch website. Right down all the trips you project you will do. Then put in the origins and destinations on the Sbb.ch website. Note! The initial fares given are the default princes, and are half fare prices. Hence to get the full cost of your journey, double the prices. Add up all the trips you plan to take and then compare them with the cost and coverage on the passes. You will then know which is best for your needs. I hope this explanation is helpful!

Has been a very rainy summer so far...but no one can predict what the weather will really be like three days from now...never mind 3 to four weeks. That is why we all consistently tell tourists not to buy Mt. train tickets in advance because one never knows what the mountains will be like until the morning of the trip! Have a great trip!

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Grindelwald

I will just comment on the last line in the first para from Marb :

But all of you must be traveling each day together on the train.

Even if one of you, ie you or your husband having Swiss Saver pass travel with the kids having family card,

then that is permitted. This may happen when the whole family does not do a trip together.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 06:57
London
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Grindelwald

thankyou all for ur replies, will check out the websites recommended.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in Grindelwald

any must do's that u wud recommend.....

6. Re: stay in Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:16