We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Mountain trip?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Short Mountain trip?

We have part of a day to spend in Interlaken - could anyone recommend a short trip to take in the vistas of the mountains - I think Jungfraujoch might be too long. Is it possible to drive part of the way (to Jungfr.) to save time?? We will be there in late May. Thank you for any suggestions. LS

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Mountain trip?

I can recommend a 1 hour trip to "Schynige Platte" from Wilderswil ( a few kilometers from Interlaken). Breathtaking view on Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau as well as on the whole Berner Oberland scenery.

(It has to be clear weather)

link:

jungfraubahn.ch/en/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Mountain trip?

Thank you, I will definitely check that out. Regards LS

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Mountain trip?

It's a great trip but you can't get up and back in 1 hr. The train ride alone is around 50 minutes each way.

If you do have some time the Schilthorn might be a good bet for you. You can drive to Stechelberg where you can get on the Schilthornbahn cablecar. It's about 40 minutes to the top. You go through Murren so if it turns out you have any extra time you can stop there on the way back. then hop back on the lift for the rest of the ride down.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Mountain trip?

Thank you Mountaintopper. That also sounds like a good option. I will check out the driving time to Stechelberg and see what we can fit it. I take it Murren is worth a stop at? Do you think one option is better than the other (if time isn't an issue) - Schilthorn looks from my map to be higher... We will be there on a Saturday. Regards LS

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Mountain trip?

The Schilthorn is one of top tourist attraction in the oberland. It's around 10,000 ft with the revolving resturant on top. Views are for miles on a clear day. One thing to note in going to either of these places...get there as early in the day as you can. Clouds have a tendency to roll in around 3 pm and you could find yourself socked in at the top.

I'd estimate driving time from Interlaken to Stechelberg to be about 20-25 min.

Murren is one of the quaint car free mountain villages in the area and is worth o look if you have time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Mountain trip?

Thanks again. Your estimate was spot on with viaMichelin. Unfortunately, we won't get there early, as our flight arrives in Geneva at 8.30. So we will have to cross our fingers, and make a decision when we get to Interlaken. I can't wait. Regards LS

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Mountain trip?

Oh I meant to say - our luck with clear days at high places is not so good - Vancouver, Hong Kong Buddha, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building (all fogged/clouded in when there) - and I'm talking at different times over a number of years. Our luck has to change soon don't you think!? ByeLS

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Mountain trip?

For a lengthier trip (6 days), I recommend the guide book at the swisshikes (dot com) website. Even if you don't want the guidebook, they have some videos to inspire your hike! :)

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Mountain trip?

If you arrive Geneva at 8:30 you should have no trouble getting to the Lauterbrunnen valley by around noon. You can have lunch in the Piz Gloria resturant on top. See if you can find a copy of the old James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". The Piz Gloria hasn't changed much since the movie was made.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Mountain trip?

Further to all suggestions - in regard to security - we will have all our luggage in our vehicle when we stop here. Any comments in regard to leaving our vehicle with our luggage parked while we take the train/cablecar up the mountain? Thanks LS