We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier express from inerlaken

Desi in UK
6 posts
Save Topic
Glacier express from inerlaken

Hi everyone

Me and my wife are staying in interlaken for 3 days in our 7 day tour to swiss. this is our first time. The boss wants to go to piz gloria and glacier express is a must. Is it possible to do both in 1 day?

what is the best way of catching the train from interlaken? Is it worth doing the whole journey? coz both of us are going there for the alpine experience.

lastly do we have to reserve in advance for the GE or can we just buy the tickets on the day?

Thanks in advance.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Hi desidoc if you log onto the following website for the Glacier Express glacierexpress.ch/timetableandprices/timetab…

you will find that it is a 7 hour journey each way. It would be impossible to do the journey and the Schilthorn for the Piz Gloria in one day.

Hope you have a great trip.

Regards

John.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Piz Gloria is great to see but Interlaken isn't the place for the glacier express. Mostly because it isn't a destination. It takes you from one place to another. The beginning and the end are at opposite ends of the country. And Interlaken is nowhere near either end.

It might be a good thing to incorporate into the last few days of your trip. If your ultimate home departure point is Zurich you could leave Interlaken, train to Zermatt, catch the glacier express to St Moritz and train back to Zurich. If you go home through Geneva do it the other way around. Train from Interlaken to St. Moritz and start the Glacier express on that end. Take it to Zermatt then train up to Geneva. It's a lot of train time but the scenery can't be beat.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Hi desidoc,

I must admit that I am a little concerned about your plans. You say you are going for the "alpine experience" -- but then you wnat to waste one of your three Alpine days by sitting on a train? Not the best idea imo!

Since you're already in Interlaken, why not enjoy the Alpine experience there? Get outside and take a walk, find a mountain restaurant, cruise the lakes, or take a gondola ride.

Where else will you be on your seven days?

Good luck!

s

Desi in UK
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Hi

Thanks all for the info. I appreciate it.

You guys are right. GE was never on my menu for this time around. As i said we are going there for the alpine experience. But for my wife Switzerland is synonymous with GE and you guys were the last chance to convince her and you guys did a good job.

Hi Mountaintopper what time of the year do you think is the best for GE coz we're planning to go back again this winter?

Hi Swandav we're spending 3 days in interlaken and after the advice from the forum we now decided to go for the lake cruise.

Thanks again.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Great! If you don't already have it, use www.bls.ch for information on lake cruises.

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

I would say it depends on what you want to see. Personally I like the summer season where the flowers are blooming, things are green, lots of daylight, etc. Even the cities and towns you go through look better. In winter everything is white. And if you don't hit it just right the weather can be quite gray with low levels of daylight.

Skipping the train this time is a good idea on two fronts. It gives you more time to spend in the Oberland this trip and it gives you an excuse to come back the next time.

Desi in UK
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

Hi mountaintopper

You've read my mind. I want to make the next trip equally exciting and thanks for the advice about GE and thanks swandov for the info.

8. Re: Glacier express from inerlaken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:16