We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants

Salt Lake, Ut
4 posts
Save Topic
restaurants

Just wondering about good places to eat in Interlaken? We would like to have fondue at least once.

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants

I haven't been to Interlaken yet, but when I was looking over travel info. for it while planning our trip in June, I came across a mention of a restaurant that sounds so wonderful, I would really like to try it if we make it to Interlaken. It's on the top floor of the Hotel Metropol, which is said to be in the center of town and it boasts the most exciting and gorgeous views of the Jungfrau and the city itself. It has indoor dining w/ large windows all around as well as an open air terrace. It has excellent ratings from many of the travel guides on its food and the descriptions says it serves a variety of traditional Swiss cuisine as well as other selections. I don't know if it has fondue on the menu, but you might find other dishes that you would enjoy as much, if it doesn't.

The picture I saw on one of the websites did reveal very beautiful views from the dining room and terrace. I read that it is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, until 11pm daily. Perhaps this sounds too touristy for your taste, or maybe you'd prefer a recommendation from someone who knows the area. I'm sure there are many good restaurants in Interlaken, and probably some that serve fondue, if your heart is really set on it. Maybe someone else can offer other suggestions.

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants

Giving it more thought, I would like to add that if you think the previous suggestion sounds too touristy, or if it doesn't offer the fare you crave, Foder's guide recommends another authentic Swiss restaurant that sounds quite appealing and very reasonable.

It's called Schuh and Foder's says it has a really charming, shady terrace open in the summer that "spills" out onto a bustling street where you can watch strollers pass. You can get anything from a simple cup of tea or coffee to a full, hot, rich authentic Swiss meal of various selection. The book says save room for dessert, which are stellar, or choose something to go from the attached bakery.

Just a word of warning though: if you truly have your heart set on fondue, the word I've seen on that in a couple of places now is that fondue is very hard to find anywhere in Switzerland outside winter. Apparently, the Swiss regard fondue as an exclusively winter dish and are loath to offer it in spring or summer.

But good luck. If you look hard enough, you may come across a place that caters enough to non-Swiss as to think outsiede the box.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants

Try Gasthof Hirschen in the Matten district of Interlaken for a fondu.

I have stayed there over 20 times and always had a fondu once a week - summer or winter.

It was recently taken over by new owners, but you could try looking at their web site.

P.S. this is apparantly one of the oldest buildings in the area, built in the 1600's.

Hope you enjoy your fondu.

Get answers to your questions about Interlaken
Recent Conversations