We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Switzerland - need advice

leics
4 posts
Save Topic
First time to Switzerland - need advice

Hi,

My wife and I are flying into Geneva on the 16th March and was thinking of taking the train to Interlaken. We have 4 days to plan, which should include site seeing and skiing (beginner). We will be relying on public transport as well.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

roh
munster
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

i would recommend going to interlaken, and even though it is a lovely place, you should take the train straight up to the jungfrau region(about one hour). here you have the beautiful villages of wengen, muerren and grindelwald. you can take ski lessons in any of these places and there is loads to do and see otherwise. a trip to the schilthorn from muerren cant be missed. the views are fab! lovely hotels and food also. it is also possible to do some snow hiking and sledding. great fun. enjoy.

leics
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Thanks for the advice Roh. I have made a reservation at the Eiger Swiss Hotel in Murren. Can’t wait!

John

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Jono,

Here is a link to a live cam mounted on the hotel Eiger that shoots live shots around the village and the mountains. Get a preview of your view.

bildersammlung.ch/muerren-webcam-live-wetter…

leics
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Awesome views!!!

I take it there will be snow around in March so we can ski?

Also,I will need to book a train from Geneva to Interlaken and then from Interlaken to the jungfrau region. Can this be done online?

Once in the Jungfrau region, what transport is available to get to Murren? I notice it says this town is car-free.

Thanks in advance

John

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Hi jono1970,

Yes, you should still find skiing in March around Mürren -- great choice btw!!

No need to "book" a train; just go to the station, buy your ticket, and hop on the next train. Reservations are not normal on Swiss trains, except on the specially marketed tourist trains.

You can research all your train routes, from Geneva to Interlaken to Mürren to the mountain peaks at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

There is a train station at the airport, so just enter:

Departure: Geneva airport

Destination: Mürren

And you'll get all the connections.

You can get more information and more details about transport in the Jungfrau region at this site:

www.jungfraubahn.ch

You'll see that the transport system in the region is flawless -- and FUN! You'll have a blast!

s

leics
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Hi Swandav,

Thanks for the brilliant advice!

regards,

Jono

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

Hi jono1970,

I would recommend getting the first class train tickets, whenever they are available. They tend to cost only a few euros more than the standard - and even though the standard class of travel is fine - going up a level makes the holiday even more special!

If a Swiss train is due to leave the station at 09:05 hrs, you can be 100% sure it will do so! Great public transport network - forget car hire.

When you visit the jungfraujoch - as you MUST! take the walk out across the snow (to a cafe at the end) it is a bit of a slog going to it, but the feeling of achievement and the views make it worthwhile.

For food, try the traditional Swiss fare about 5 mins walk up the (residential) road directly opposite the Grand Hotel Beau Rivage.

If you fancy a good view, pick up a paragliding flight in Interlaken - and get your picture taken mid flight.

Enjoy yourselves - It probably won't be your last visit!

Cliff

8. Re: First time to Switzerland - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 13:17