We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Amsterdam
13 posts
Save Topic
Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Hi,

I will be in swiss day 1 to day 4(from Amsterdam).

1) First day I reach interlaken by around 2 PM.

I will cover Thun lake in 2nd half.

2) 2nd day- Titlis.

3) Jungfraujoch(Will try to spend an hour luzern)

4)Back to Amsterdam. I have to reach Geneva by evening 5PM to catch flight back to amsterdam.

My query:

On 4th day if i have 2-3 hours on return journey from Interlaken to (via montreux)Geneva, what is advisable:

1) should i spend 2-3 hours in Montreux

2) Geneva

3) or somewhere in Interlaken

Since i dont know much things apart from above things, pl. advise what to opt and what options i have.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

You haven't said where you will arrive at, I am assuming it's Geneva. Then I would suggest that you leave the train at Thun and take the boat down to Interlaken. On your second day if the weather is suitable go to Jungfraujoch and do this as a round trip from Interlaken, go up via Lauterbrunnen and Wengen and back via Grindelwald. Going to Titlis either day is way out your way from Interlaken so I would suggest either Schilthorn or go to Grindelwald and take the gondola up to First, third choice would either the Neissen near Spiez which gives you a wonderful view along the length of Lake Thun, or the Neiderhorn on the other side of Lake Thun. If you really want to go up Titlis then go over the Brunig line from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne on your third day, although I must say that for me that would be too many hotels for such a short stay, and change trains at I think it is Hergiswil (help someone) for the train to Engleberg and stay there for one night, then you will have more time to spend in Lucerne before returning to Geneva. Whatever you choose to do enjoy it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Follow Swisslover's good advice...DON'T go to TITILIS!Stay in the Bernese Oberland area as there is SO much to see there.Swisslover's suggestions are excellent,but if you tell us what kind of things you love doing,there are many helpful people on this site who will guide you to your specific needs.

Amsterdam
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Thanks for your email.

I will check in detail regarding different points you suggested. since I think this being onetime visit to Swiss, I want to make proper use of this 4 days.

As per my plan, I will get down at Geneva Airport(From Amsterdam)then to Bern and Interlaken.

However you advise to get down to Thun.

Do you mean i should take train from Geneval To Thun and then boat trip to Interlaken.

1) Pl. confirm my understanding.

2) Also my son is 3 years old who walks quite distance (around - 1.5 km). Should i carry baby Car(buggie) since unless too much walk required I wont carry it. Pl. advise

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Yes, you may find that you have to change trains at Berne, but this will only be a change of platforms and takes just a few minutes. I would certainly suggest that a light weight buggy, stroller would be a good idea.

Have a look at the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en for trains between Geneva and Thun. That will tell you if you need to change trains and which platform the train goes from

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

You don't need to do Titlis because in the Interlaken area the Alps sit right in front of you. You have easy access to the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Schilthorn, Jungfrau, Lakes Thun & Brienz. There is no need for the added travel time and expense of Titlis.

Amsterdam
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

Thanks SwissLover for your mail.

I hope the Thun lake is near to Thun rail station, since i am planning to go as advised by you.

I will be at Geneva--> via Bern to Thun--> then boat ride to Interlaken.

Also, is the Thun ride will be included in the 4 day Swiss Pass, i mean no need to pay extra for it.

Pl. confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

I would spend the 3 nights in INTERLAKEN:

The boat and train at THUN are quite near one another, as are the boat and train at INTERLAKEN.

Think if you want to change with luggage and baby from train to boat in THUN or do this as a trip once you have dropped off your luggage to hotel or on another day.,

SWISS PASS:

Will take you on all rail, boats and buses. Also on cable cars etc. I think you even get free entry to museums.

There will be a few high mountain trips that you may have to pay 25% of the price. Like the Jungfraujoch

or the Shilthorn.

Maybe put up a seperate question on a seperate search asking about 2-3hours in Montreux.

You could do this and the promanade is a nice area to walk with pusher.A walk along promanade to Chillon Castle (entry will be free I think)

but this castle may be hard for pushing a pram. It may also be rushed if you only have 2-3 hours.

8. Re: Advise (trip from Interlaken)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:16