We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

singapore
Level Contributor
190 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

Hi,

We are hoping to stay in Interlaken, Wengen, Brienz area between 5th Sept to 14th Sept. However, I read about the Minirun on Sept 4 and Jungrau Marathon Sept 10/11 which is an international event and that 4,000 tickets were already sold out.

Any idea if these people stick around for many days before and after the events? We want to choose the right weeks so as to avoid th crowds esp when we prefer quiet walks and taking the various trains etc in the Lauterbrunnen area.

Thanks

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

I can't really see that this will be much of a problem apart from the weekend of the marathon. In September the school term has been resumed and the peak period over though the autumn is a popular time for walkers. You may actualy enjoy going to watch the marathon, many of these events normaly have added attractions such as folk music and market stalls.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

I have been in Lauterbrunnen on the day of the marathon and after early morning most everything has gone by. We didn't notice any more tourists than usual. I imagine the only real crowd would be at the start, in Interlaken at about 8:00 am and up at Kleine Scheidegg at the finish line around noon.

If you are driving and have to be out during the running of the race some roads may be blocked temporarily but it should be easy to work around.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

I've been in Interlaken the weekend of the marathon and once the race has started everyone or nearly everone follows the race. They tend to arrive on the Friday evening and leave on the Sunday so i would not worry too much.

singapore
Level Contributor
190 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

Wengen is a great spot to observe the marathon. The town is all decked out -- restaurants and shops with sidewalk stalls, a miniature beer garden in the open area near the train station, and typically a very entertaining live band. The leaders come through beginning about 11:00 am, the last ones through are a little after 1:00. The town is busy during those times with all the marathon chasers but still very enjoyable. If you go, don't miss Herr Berthod and his chef from the Hotel Schoenegg -- they stand out front of their hotel and ring a giant cow bell for two hours!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

We were there at time of the marathon in 08.We had no problems with crowds.We THOUGHT we might- and so on the day of the race we opted to go to Grindelwald to avoid the "crush".It was very quiet there! We then took the chairlift up to Mannlichen...again very quiet ...and later came down by gondola to Wengen.Here it was a bit busier but the atmosphere was good!We waited on a train for Interlaken and were amused to find that it was really busy with competitors returning complete with medals! We got a seat though and found ourselves in conversation with an exhausted young man who was pleased to show us his medal! Thus the highlight of the day was actually when we allowed ourselves to become invoved in the fun!! Hope you enjoy the day!

singapore
Level Contributor
190 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

Thanks kim and allmend for the input!

Warm regards.

8. Re: crowds in sept jungrau marathon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 06:24