We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken accomodations

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Topic
Interlaken accomodations

We are planning a 7 day trip to Switzerland and would like to split our base between Lucerne and Interlaken. As we were looking at Interlaken accomodations, we are finding some apartments at Lauterbrunnen. Would this be a good choice? I see that there is a direct train from Interlaken and not too far either, but just wanted to make sure that we will be close by to Interlaken, restaurants etc.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Lauterbrunnen is about a 25 min ride from Interlaken and trains run at least once an hour. Plus Lauterbrunnen has a much more "in the mountains" feel than interlaken as it sits at the foot of the valley.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
521 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken accomodations

I think that Lauterbrunnen would be a much better choice for you. If you like nice scenery then I think many regulars on this forum would agree that the Lauterbrunnen Valley offers some of the best if not THE BEST scenery to be found anywhere in the world. If you do get an apartment in Lauterbrunnen, try to get one that is south-facing.

In addition Lauterbrunnen acts as a very convenient 'hub' for days out in the Jungfrau region. In effect there are (potentially) 4 different ways you can set off from Lauterbrunnen for a day out in the mountains, but from Interlaken you'd have to ride the same rails every single day to get to the same area.

As far as the trains to Interlaken are concerned; they run to and from Interlaken until late every evening so you'll still be able to enjoy Interlaken's restaurants etc.

The Lauterbrunnen-Interlaken timetable can be found here: jungfrau.ch/en/…

What ever you decide to I hope you have a really lovely time in Switzerland.

canada
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Apartments are usually rented from Sat to Saturday. Since you are planning to split a week into 2 places, that seems a high cost solution.

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken accomodations

what would be a typical cost for apt /week or day in the month of May?

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Would you mind elaborating on the multiple ways to get to the mountains from Lauterbrunnen? I had planned on going up to Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald/First and returning via Kleine Scheidegg. I also read up that there are good waterfalls up from Lauterbrunnen at Wengen/Murren. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
680 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken accomodations

We have stayed in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen for the past two years and again this August. This particular apartment is rented for as little two nights (in May) and you can arrive any day of the week. We will stay for six night for CHF 120 per night. At least one apartment is CHF 75 per night in the same building. The location is wonderful.

Transportation in the area is very easy...a cable car and short train ride to Murren or a short bus ride and then cable car. To other villages, Murren, Grindelwald, and others,...train from Lauterbrunnen station. Schedules and length of trips can be found at sbb.ch.

Have a great trip. Switzerland is a beautiful country.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interlaken accomodations

You can go east up the mountain to Wengen and on to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch.

You can go west and up the mountain to Murren through Grutchalp. Murren is the starting point for the Schilthorn excursion.

You can go south down the valley to Stechelberg where you can either go up to Murren by cablecar or continue hiking south to Obersteinberg.

You can go north toward Interlaken stopping at Wilderswil where you can catch the cog train up to Schynigge Platte.

Grindelwlad is on the other side of the Jungfrau from Lauterbrunnen. If you stay in Lauterbrunnen you wouldn't go to Grindelwald to start out for the Jungfrau. You can however go to Grindelwlad on the way down after seeing the Jungfraujoch and arriving back down at Kleine Scheidegg. From Kleine Scheidegg take the train to Grindelwlad and the valley train to Zweilutchenen and back to Lauterbrunnen.

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Can you please send me a link to the apartment rental you mentioned?

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Thanks mountaintopper...

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interlaken accomodations

Are there any waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen??? about 72 to be exact :-)

Get answers to your questions about Interlaken
Recent Conversations