We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Hello,

I will be visiting Interlaken during July 2011 (end). We will be making Interlaken as a Base.

I am not used to hiking by any means. However, I would like to explore atleast one path by foot.

Can you suggest a good hiking path? things that interest me are as follows:

- Easy Hike , Mild slope

- Waterfalls on the way

- High altitude

- Flowers and gardens

- View of Alps

- Option to Hop in a train if my legs give up :)

- Option to return by cable car, train etc.

- Not more than 2 hours one way.

I am open to travel by Train from Interlaken to some location and hike from there on...

Only option i could think of is from Grindelwald to First. I am not sure about the distance. can you tell how long and hard is this route? Also other routes based on my interest points?

Thanks..

M

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

I was in Tauterbrunnen two years ago (30 minutes by train from Interlaken) and loved some walks in the area. The one along the waterfalls valley is flat and very nice, then you can take the cable car and go up to Murren, from where there are spectacular views of the Alps and then you can walk to the cable railway station and go down to Lauterbrunnen, or if you are tired you can take the take to the funicular station

Many trails in that area

Here you can view some of my pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio/suiza

Hope to have helped

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Another walk that I liked very much was that from First to Bachalpsee

You take the train to Grindelwald (aroun 30-40 minutes) then ghe Goldola up to the First station and then there is a pleasant 1-hour walk to the Bachalpsee.Beautiful views of the Eiger and Monch along the way

Jose

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,200 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Hi manan123

An other option would be to take the train to Meiringen and the postbus to "Aareschlucht". Then you walk through the Aare gorge, which is very spectacular and there are seatss all along the way if you need a break). From the exit you take the bus back to Meiringen or go down to the railway station and take a train (not covered by the Swisss Pass) to Meiringen.

An other walk we like a lot is to follow the river Aare at Interlaken itself in direction of the lake and to visit the castle (good restaurant) there.

Have fun

pore

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

First to Bachalpsee is very nice, but i second JoseAntonio's recommendation. If you are only going to do one walk in the area this is it.

This walk hike provides a glorious trip down the entire Lauterbrunnen Valley. The valley is full of waterfalls – the literature claims 72 but, depending on the time of year and rain/snowfall during the previous winter, you may see as few as 10 but it is always spectacular. Here is what you do:

Take the train from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen (about 30 mins). Exit left from the train station, stroll through town, and directly onto the wide footpath that runs down the Valley. You will pass right by the famous Staubbach Falls. Then after about 30 to 45 minutes you will see a cut off (to the left) that leads across the Valley to Trümmelbach Falls (see some good pictures at http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/pictures/switzerland/trummelbach/). This is well worth doing -- these are falls that run through the center of the mountain. Very secure footing and railings let you get an up-close look. After touring there, you can either walk on the road in front of the falls down to Stechelberg (continuing south) or, preferably, cut back across the meadow and rejoin the footpath. Stechelberg Inn lies at the end of the Valley and is a great lunch spot. The entire distance, including the jog over to the Falls, is about 4 miles on flat terrain. If you are tired by the time you get to Trümmelbach Falls you can take a bus onward to Stechelberg (the bus stops right at Trümmelbach). This will cut the distance in half.

After lunch at Stechelberg Inn you have two options:

• Take the Post Bus that stops near Stechelberg Inn back to Lauterbrunnen train station then return to Interlaken by train. This bus runs once every hour; check the schedule at the bus stop before lunch so you don’t miss one by 5 minutes!

• A better choice if time permits: take the gondola up to Mürren. The gondola to Mürren (and on to the Schilthorn) is about ½ mile before Stechelberg; you will have seen it in passing. You can either walk back to the gondola station or the bus stops there as well. Mürren is a charming village with great views. If you didn't have dessert during lunch at Stechelberg Inn, I highly recommend stopping at the Hotel Alpenruh, right by the gondola station. There you can take a seat on the balcony overlooking the fabulous view and order the best fruit tart in the entire region (if they haven't run out by the time you get there - it's very popular with the locals and usually not even on the menu, you have to ask) Stroll through the village (very short walk) and admire the old architecture then arrive at the train station. Take the very scenic train ride from Mürren station to Grutschalp, then the cable train back down to Lauterbrunnen where you catch the train to Interlaken.

Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

To avoid confusion the old funicular from Grutschalp down to Lauterbrunnen was replaced by a cable car Dec 2010 (due to ground movement/subsidence)!

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

The Swiss Pass covers the tram/train from Innertkirchen (at the end of the Aareschluct) to Meiringen. It now runs into Meiringen Station as well - very handy for train connections.

Gibel

Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Hi

Thanks a lot for all the details.

Is LauterBrunnen and Tauterbrunnen the same place (with diff names?)

I have planned the following days so far:

Day 1: Arrive at Interlaken from Paris: *Suggestion for the evening required*

Day1: Mt. Titlis -full day

Day 2: Hiking *taking notes from my first question / replies*

Day 3: Mt. Jungfrau - full day

Day 4: Not decided *cruise, train ride...or what else... suggestions required*

Day 5: To Zurich. *one day. Suggestions required*

Q1: If i consider the LauterBrunnen to Murren (as suggested by Jose Antonio and Kimsanjose), Will Mt. Titlis, jungfrau and the Hiking cover almost simillar route and visuals?

Q2: Also, I would like to do a river cruise from interlaken. I have heard lake Brienz is best. Does this take entire day? If its few hours, what can we do after crusie is over?

Q3: IS Golden pass train route recommended? I would not like to travel and be confined in train for 6-7 hours one way...rather be free outside. Only option that sound feasible is Interlaken to Lucerne pass.

Q4: I will have a day in Zurich before i take flight back. what can be done during that day? I am not a museum person. Like to see somthing that i remember for long :P

Thanks < Jose Antonio,Kimsanjose, Gibel, joe, Pore> for all the help,

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

Sorry for my typo "Tauterbrunnen" is of course Lauterbrunnen

9. Re: Easy Hiking from Interlaken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:16