We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Hi,

I'll be arriving in Interlaken on 19/6/12 approx 10:45am. From there i wish to take the boat trip to Lake Brienz, since i dont have much time i would like to stop at Brienz and return back for other places of sight seeing such as Lauterbrunnen/Harderkulm/Schynige Platte.

1)My question is whether i'll be able to wrap all these places by 4-5pm? I need to catch a train to Lucerne.

2)I could not find Interlaken map that covers places of interest and train station. Any recommendation?

3)How much is the boat trip to Brienz? And what are the timetable?

4) I will be covering Mt Titlis in Lucerne so if i skip Jungfrau, would that be ok? Similar places?

Appreciate if anyone could reply.

rdgs

nasha

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

1) Do the boat trip after visiting a mountain top. Take the boat from Interlaken Ost to Brienz, there you can catch the Golden Pass train to continue to Lucerne. It's no problem to do this trip with big suitcases. In both places boats stop right next to the train station. If you take the last boat at 16:07 you are in Lucerne at 19:04. Days are long in June, it won't be dark before 9 pm and yes 5 minutes are enough in Brienz.

Schynige Platte is a great trip and doable if you go there first.

2)http://www.interlaken.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/bilder_cams_karten/ortsplaene/pano_jr_so.pdf

3) If you have a Swiss Pass, it's included. All information about the boat trip can be found here http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffahrt/fahrplan.php

4) Both are glacier places and have similar attractions. Even they are differnt I think it's a good idea to leave out Jungfraujoch to have the time and monney to visit other great mountain tops.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

I think you are bananas. Why do you want to just go from place to place. You won't have time to really see anything.

If you are arriving in Interlaken at 10:45, you could take a mountain excursion. I don't really like Schynig Platte, unless you have young children or you don't like to hike. In that case, go up there, look around, have some lunch and enjoy the view. Take a train down around 3:00 then the boat to Brienz and as the previous poster said, on to Lucern directly from Brienz.

However, I actually like Brienz and the Swiss Culture Museum at Ballenburg will show you more about Swiss history and culture than any silly trip to Schynigg Platte. You could go directly to Brienz, take the bus to the museum(it is an open air museum with actual houses, churches, workshops etc) and tour that for a few hours, then bus back to Brienz and train to Lucern. There are also lots of woodcarving shops in Brienz, a nice lakeside path, and some nice restaurants on the lake.

If you like to hike, I recommend from Interlaken you take the train to Grindelwald and then up to Kleine Scheidigg(not all the way to the top of the Jungfrau) and get off there. Hike down the beautiful, well-marked path to the next train stop at Alpiglen. Will take about an hour. Then ride back down to Grindelwald, have a nice late lunch in a cafe overlooking the North Wall of the Eiger, and then back down to Interlaken and the boat to Brienz. Heaven, and in my opinion, a perfect day in the Bernese Oberland.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Mube, SnowySnigg thanks for the valuable input.

Its my 1st time and only relying on the feedback people gave me from the web.

I need to book my train tonight as everyone else are going direct to Lucerne

and skipping Interlaken.

Ok let me get this info correctly.

Once i reached Interlaken Ost, put my lugagge at the station

a) take mountain excursion up to Schynig Platte

b) Continue to Grindelwald then further up to Kleine Scheidigg

c) Once done, go down to Interlaken Ost and head to HaedarKlumn

d) Get luggage and head for the boat trip to Lake Brienz

e) Stop at Brienz for sight seeing

f) Get a train at Brienz to Lucerne

Sorry i need help on the time table, i lookup Mube's link

Let say i'm planning to take around 4-5pm, is it

Interlaken Ost Brs? 14.07 Which means it will reach Brienz Brs at 17.25?

Question:

1) Does Brienz Station has luggage storage?

2) Would 45mins be enough in Brienz? Brienz to Ballenburg a walking distance?

3) Without hiking, is it worthwhile to go all the way to Grindelward

4) Timetaken from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald?

5) Can u use the Swisspass for all trips?

Example Brienz to Lucerne, Interlaken to Grindelwald,

Lucerne to Paris?

6) Did i make the correct choice by choosing Lake Brienz instead

of Lake Lucerne?

Again, appreciate your honest opinion.

Thanks!

rgds

nasha

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

I would only go to Schynige Platte and spend a bit more time there. There are some easy trails and an botanic garden with all those famous alpine plants.

f) I don't know where you have the 17:25 from If you take the boat at 14:07 you are in Brienz at 15:20 and in Lucerne at 17:04

1) Yes you can leave it at their office. See the opening hours here sbb.ch/en/…bahnhof-finden.posid.16964.html

2) For Brienz it's not much but ok. Ballenberg is to far to walk and needs more time.

3) There are many great mountain tops there

4) www.sbb.ch/en

5) Swiss Pass includes all trips to towns and villages in Switzerland (as well the boats), the TGV train is not included.

6) I like lake Lucerne more, but both are great.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

If you only have a half a day in the Interlaken area and you want to hike personally I would leave my luggage at Interlaken Ost and take the train to Wengen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg and then take the train down to Grindelwald and on back to Interlaken catch the boat to Brienz and from there take the train to Lucerne. You really won't have time for much else unless you run. You have have something to eat and drink on the boat to save some time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Mube, sorry i was looking at the 16.07(H). By the way do u mean the boat take us all the way to Lucerne?

In that case, we won't be able to stop at Brienz if we take the boat?

How about between Thun and Brienz, which one better?

rgds

nasha

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Swisslover,

I loke to hike but like you said, i'm not sure whether i have the time unless i run. By the way hiking to Kleine Scheidegg, Silly question, is it thru forest or mountain trails or just passing by small town. Sorry, i'm can't imagine the area as this my first time to europe.

Earlier on SnowyAndSigg also recommended to hike down from Kleine Scheidigg to Alpiglen.

rgds

nasha

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

<By the way do u mean the boat take us all the way to Lucerne?> That would be very hard with a mountain pass in between. They mean connecting trains when they put something like this.

<In that case, we won't be able to stop at Brienz if we take the boat?> The boat doesn't run very often, but there is a train every hour. As you have daylight till after 9pm it's no problem to stop in Brienz and take a later train. For timetables see www.sbb.ch/en

<How about between Thun and Brienz, which one better?> Thun is city, Brienz is a village with 3000 inhabitants. If you mean the lakes: mountains around lake Brienz are higher and the towns are smaller. Both are nice, but I would vote for lake Brienz

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Ok much clearer picture for me now :-)

And yes i mean the Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, people kept talking about the castle in Lake Thun. So far many people vote for Brienz, i just want to make sure.

Earlier you mentioned about Lake Lucerne, whats the difference between Lake Brienz from your point of view.

rgds

nasha

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Interlaken Ost - Brienz Boat Trip

Look at the map you will that the shap is very differnt. Lake Lucern is more divers and look at every corner differnt.