We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from interlaken west to lucerne

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bus from interlaken west to lucerne

hi,

is there a direct bus frm interlaken west to lucerne?

the problem is our luggage are quite heavy and we note they have steps in the trains..so we are worried we will not have enough time to carry up n down the trains as there will be two tranfers.

pls advice if we can take bus or taxi..if yes

1) how much

2) how long the journey

your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

rgds

jana

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

There is no bus from Interlaken West to Lucerne

You could take a bus from Interlaken West to Ost stations but it is probably just as easy to get the train from West to Ost stations. Then at Ost you get the train to Lucerne . This is the only change. The train starts from Interlaken Ost so if you get there in plenty of time you will have time to get yourself and your luggage aboard. New trains are being introduced on this route and they will be low floor entry.. On arrival at Lucerne the train terminates so again there is plenty of time to get on and off.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 17:10
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

The general problem regarding all the questions you are posting is that there are no bus connections in Switzerland over routes where there is a train. Buses and trains are not in competition with each other here; the buses go where the trains don't go.

Marmot12 is right though - all you need to do is lift your luggage on once at the start, then off once at the end. This would be the same on a bus.

Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

hi marmot12,

thx for your advice. we will take a bus or taxi frm interlaken west to interlaken ost. glad to know its a low entry floor.

will it clash with the morning crowd if we were to take the 8am train?

hi neuch,

thank you.we will go as per advised by marmot12

rgds

jana

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

The 08.00 departure involves taking a train to Bern and then another to Lucerne. I wouldn't get this service.

I would get the 8.04 service which is one train from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne. This takes 2 hours no changes.

It starts at Interlaken Ost and even if it isn't a low floor entry train you will have time to get on as it will have been at the platform for 10 minutes. As I said in my previous post the low floor trains are being introduced on this route but I don't know whether the 08.04 service will be one of those. The timetable doesn't indicate it will be particularly busy.

If you have to by a ticket you want Lucerne via Brunig for the direct train. It's a very scenic route. I'd sit on the right for the best views.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 09:30
Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

hi mamot12,

thxx..i meant 8:04 train :) yes we will take the direct train to lucerne as your advice.

rgds

jana

Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

do you have any idea how much will the cab fare from interlaken west to interlaken ost?

if we can catch the bus..then we will catch the bus to interlsken ost ..where can i find the bus schedule?

thank you

rgds

jana

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

<where can i find the bus schedule>

www.sbb.ch, same as for the trains.

To: Interlaken Ost

Anything marked BUS or NFB is a bus, the other connections are trains. There are several buses and several trains every hour.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 10:18
Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

hi neuch,

thx for providing me the bus schedule. Any idea how much taxi fare frm interlaken west to interlaken ost?

thank you

rgds

jana

singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

Hi,

Get to the bus and train stations early. That way you can line up to get in the train earlier.

The swiss train website shows you all the buses and trains. Also click on "show all details" and then click "show intermediate stations" so you wont miss your stop. The announcements cant always be heard. Make sure you print out all your diffferent options. Sometimes the choices they give you shows only a 5 minute transfer. We looked at the various choices and mixed and matched so we could arrive at the station earlier.

To make sure you are lining up at the right section of the train platform, look at the overhead signboard. It tells you the train and also platform for the 2nd or 1st class carriages. It will be a huge hassle if you board the wrong carriages and have to drag the bags through to the other carriages.

We had a fairly big samsonite luggage on our trip in sept and there were times it was a little difficult to find luggage space.. You may have to place them where the train doors are but make sure they dont block passengers from getting on and off. You should have enough time to board the trains if you get there early. But you will need strength to lug the bags up so hope you have some able bodied family members or friends.

We bought a lock with a long wire to loop through the bags to prevent it for security (buy these small combination wire locks from Planet Traveller). Because your seats may not be near yours bags, you wont always be able to keep an eye on the bags.

Alternatively you can choose to travel 1st class from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne. Its hardly ever crowded in 1st class - if you are willing to pay the difference, it really saves alot of hassle.

By the way, most of the train doors dont open automatically. There is a button for you to press - it lights up when its time to press it. The button is either presssd by someone inside wanting to get off or someone outside wanting to get on,

Initially we were waiting for the doors to open and were wondering why it took so long. At the smaller stations, if you dont press the button and no one else does, the train moves off after the desginated minutes (meaning if its supposed to stop only for 5 mins at that station and no one presses the button, the doors wont open and it moves off after 5 mins.)

We used the Swiss Flexi 4 day Pass 2nd class and it was most convenient as it did away with hassle of buying tickets. Next time we may pay a supplement and go 1st class when we catch the train from those cities where it gets crowded. When that happens, it can be a hassle to board with the luggages and find seats at the same time. You will need to be very patient as it can get stressful at times. Suggest you try to use smaller bags if possible (cabin crew type).

It also Depends on the season you are travelling. We were there 18 Sept to 8th Oct 2012 which is supposed to be more off peak. We stayed in Wengen and loved it.

Switzerland is so beautiful esp the Alps. . Not sure when you are going, but have a great trip and if its a self planned trip, do lots of homework before you go.

singapore
Level Contributor
184 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus from interlaken west to lucerne

I forgot to add that we are into scenery and hate to rush around. 3 of us adults stayed 7 nights in Beatenberg, 8 nights in Wengen, 3 nights in Appenzell and 1 nught in Zurich. Most relaxing. Those towns are so very very much nicer than the main cities, esp wengen. But there are a few connections to deal with - but to us it was very worth the transfers. Not sure what kind of temperaments you are dealing with in your group so its hard to recommend. But I can tell you the scenery is so much better up in the smaller alpine towns.

Afraid we didnt enjoy Bern because so many people were smoking on the streets and too many trams sharing the road with pedestrians. I couldnt wait to return to Wengen after that day outing to Bern. Preferred St Gallen so much more (a side trip from Appenzell.)

You will have to do lots of homework through the Internet. Only then will you be able to tell if those places and hotels are suitable for you.