We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and Hotel

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Topic
Train and Hotel

We are taking a train from Innsbruck to Interlaken and it arrives around 11pm in July. Is there a hotel close to the train station that we could walk to that is nice and reasonably priced ($215 or under)? I know that we want to stay in Wengen or Murren or Grindlewald, but I don't think the train from Innsbruck goes there at night. We want to stay in the area for 3 nights. We want to see Jungfrau (leaving early), go to the top of Shilthorn and have the James Bond breakfast, perhaps a boat ride. We then go from there to Lucern, where we stay one night and then fly out of Zurich. Can you recommend where we should stay? Not sure which city is most convenient. I see that it is recommended to take the early ride to Jungfrau. Also if there is anything else that we are missing that we should see, feel free to tell us. We are not much for museums. Short hikes are okay. My husband doesn't hike. In Lucerne, we are staying at the Wilden Mann and seeing the Kapellbridge, seeing a nightshow, and perhaps Pilatus or Mt. Rigi. I was on Pilatus when I was a teen, but it was covered in snow and I couldn't see anything. Thank you for your help.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train and Hotel

Coming from Innsbruck to Interlaken you will have to change at least twice at Zurich and Bern and possibly more. If I were you I would leave on an earlier train with the least amount of changes and then continue to your final destination of Wengen, Murren or Grindelwald. The timetable on www.sbb.ch shows that leaving at aboit noon you could be in Grindelwald for just gone 1800 with changes at Zurich, Bern and Interlaken Ost.

Look at train times on the Austrian rail timetable oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

or on www.sbb.ch the swiss timetable

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train and Hotel

This was one with the least amount of changes. If I did the noon train, then i would have to cut out the day in Switzerland and only have 2 nights and one full day in the area which is not enough.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train and Hotel

I was looking at staying here recently http://www.central-continental.ch/ but later altered my plans so it's not a reccomendation only a suggestion.

It is by Interlaken West station just across the level crossing or behind you as you get off the train coming from the Lake Thun direction.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train and Hotel

That hotel sounds interesting. I also found that the Hotel Interlaken is a 10 minute walk from the Interlaken East as well. Then I can take the train to Grindenwald the following morning. They run almost every half hour. I am trying to decide if Grindenwald or Wengen is the better place to stay to do Jungfrau and Shilthorn. Does anyone know which is better?

canada
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train and Hotel

The hotel closest to Interlaken Ost station should be Hotel du Lac. 2-3 mins walk across the tracks at the station towards the river. You would think it is part of the station/ ferry landing complex. Hotel Carlton Europe is 2 blocks away, a little more than 5 min walk. I don´t know if they have renovated the older block or not - floor squeaked.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train and Hotel

I also saw Hotel Alphorn. Hotel Interlaken was too expensive. We are getting in at 11pm and probably taking a very train to Wengen around 6am. We are basically just sleeping here and taking a very early train out. I appreciate your help.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train and Hotel

There's a new hostel right next to Interlaken Ost station which might suit you.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train and Hotel

Thank you. What time do we have to leave to get that early bird special to Jungfrau? I think you have to be off the mountain by noon.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train and Hotel

Is that Backpackers villa? I never stayed at a hostel before. Do you have your own room and bathroom?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train and Hotel

No it's the Youth Hostel right next to the station

www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/interlaken

Interlaken Youth Hostel. Am Bahnhof Ost Untere Bönigstrasse 3 3800 Interlaken. Tel: +41 33 826 10 90. Fax: +41 33 826 10 95 interlaken@youthhostel.ch ...