We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help Please

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
7 posts
Save Topic
need help Please

Hi,

I my wife and our child (11 months by then) plan to do Paris/ France and Swiss tour over a period of 6-7 nights starting 1st August. Would be grateful if somebody could provide a structured program keeping in mind the toddler. Must dos include Paris, Zurich, Interlaken (titlis) and probably a TGV/ similar ride one way.

Thanks in advance and anticipation

Harsha

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need help Please

HarshasS413 Just so that you are aware Titlis is best done from Lucerne not Interlaken. Must dos. are what you want to do. My must dos would be different to yours. With a child of that age i would not be going high in the mountains. Ballenberg the opnen air museum near Brienz may appeal as may a short boat ride.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help Please

You may want to take a look at www.seat61.com to see the major routes from Paris to Switzerland and be aware that www.tgv-europe.com already opened up last Thursday early booking on some routes for dates through August 23 between Paris and Switzerland. I bought and printed tickets for my friends for travel on August 12th from Zurich back to Paris on Friday for 25 euros per person and by Saturday the train times I purchased went up in price to 41 euros per person, so the earlier you decide on your itinerary and purchase your tickets the lower the price will probably be especially considering that August is a peak travel time especially for Parisians.

A suggestion if you want to avoid high mountain towns like Zermatt with its views of the Matterhorn would be to take the train from Paris to Lausanne for 2 or 3 days from which you could take day trips by train, bus, or boat to numerous places like Gruyeres and Chillon Castle near Montreux. Then I would suggest spending 2 or 3 days at the beautiful Bernese/Oberland village of Lauterbrunnen with numerous waterfalls and mountain views and from which you can make day trips to other places like Brienz or if you want a big city the capital city Bern. Most people discourage staying in Interlaken. Then you could stay a couple of nights in Luzern which is almost an hour to Zurich if you want to stay a night there before your 4 hour train ride back to Paris. If I had to cut out any place I would cut out the big cities like Bern and Zurich and spend most of my time in places like Lauterbrunnen and the smaller villages of that area. Go on Trip Advisor to each of those places for information and especially let the photos help you to decide where you would rather spend most of your time.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 05:59
Dubai, United Arab...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need help Please

Thanks all, this was just a wish list kind of thinking before i get down to crunching the program, All help in designing a 6-7 day trip with Paris and/ or Swiss or other destination is deeply appreciated.

Thanks again

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help Please

There is no reason why you could not go to Zermatt with your child provided you stay low down or take turns to go up to the mountains around it. Zermatt is 1650m and our pediatricians here suggest a limit of 2000m for any child under 2. But ask your own doctor and be guided accordingly.

Second, I would not suggest to anyone that they stay in Lausanne unless they have business there. Lausanne is not an easy town to navigate until you know it well, and has not that much on offer anyway... Vevey and Montreux are far more interesting and loads easier to find one's way around. And if you did stay in Lausanne you would likely spend a lot of time in Vevey and Montreux and the area near them anyway!

Paris really demands a lot more time than a week to see it well. But you could see the major sights in 3 days. It will take you 3-4 hours to get from Paris to Switzerland so that is most of another morning gone. Which doesn't leave you a lot of time to travel about here. I suggest that you consider coming here (by TGV) via Basel and stopping there to see something of the town, which is beautiful. then continue on to Luzern and make that your base for the rest of your stay. Luzern has a lot of plusses for you with a small child... It is a small town, and easily walkable. It is on a lake, with lovely scenery but it is not in the "high alps". From Luzern you could take your child on a lake cruise to Vitznau and then take the cog railway up to the top of mt Rigi for some great views, but still be under that 2000m "ceiling". And when you are ready to leave, Luzern is about an hour from the Zürich airport.

See this for Basel:

tripadvisor.com/…37811992

and for Luzern see www.luzern.ch

5. Re: need help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:15