We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

My husband and I are visiting Switzerland in the May time frame. We will be spending 3 (maybe 4) nights in one of these areas. Our first choice for the base of our stay was going to be Wengen. But most of the better rated hotels and B&Bs in Wengen are closed during this time frame. The only one available is Alpenruhe Kulm Hotel which has decent reviews.

We are still debating between which amongst Lauterbrunnen (Hotel Staubbach or Hotel Oberland)and Murren (Hotel Jungfrau or Eiger GuestHouse) will be a better choice. Any feedback/ recommendation that can be provided will be very helpful.

Thank you.

We decided not to stay in Grindlewald since it would be a little too touristy.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

I think Lauterbrunnen is almost always the best bet during the month of May. As you have discovered, Wengen is mostly still asleep at this time and I think you will find Murren in about the same state. Both are lovely villages that you should take the time to visit during your trip but most of the accomodations and facilties will still be closed.

Also I much prefer the Hotel Oberland to any other in the village. Very friendly spot and the best restaurant in town.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

@mountain…are you familiar with the apartment at Hotel Silberhorn?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

No. I know where it is but have not seen it or stayed there.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

Any thoughts regarding the location? The photos look nice, but not sure if they are truly representative of the apartment. The price is more reasonable than a hotel room for a 4-5 night stay.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

The location is right across the street from the hotel which is next to the Lauterbrunn to Grutchalp cablecar station. Not sure if it has any excess noise but for traveling it would be handy since it is quite close to the train station too.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

Thanks mountain! I knew it was close to the train station (and uphill apparently!) which sure would be convenient. So far I haven't seen any mention of noise in the reviews.

Are you familiar with Chalet Horner...not the hotel?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

We are familiar with both. We have been eating at the Siberhorn for years although we have not stayed there. Noise is not a problem at all. We also stay most every year at Chalet Horner. We are staying there again for seven days this September. Teresa is wonderful to work with. She is English. The apartments we have stayed in were very clean with great views. Chalet Horner is directly across the street from Hotel Oberland, another wonderful place to eat. It is in a great location. I would be glad to answer any questions. Have a great trip.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

@happy...I was originally set on Chalet Horner but we're having trouble finalizing our dates. With our current plan, the Lauberhorn is not available all of the nights we would need, but we might be able to stay in the Schilthorn on the first night and move to the smaller apartment later. There are only two of us, but the smallest apartments are not available for our dates. Hence the research into other options that would not require a change.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

Our favorite apartment at Chalet Horner is The Studio for the two of us. It is larger than the Jungfrau apartment but smaller than the Lauberhorn. We like its location on the lower level with a private patio. The hotel Oberland also has apartments next door.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren?

We stayed at the Hotel Staubbach last September, and the staff was one of the friendliest, most accomodating, and helpful I have ever encountered in my European travels. We had a very late train out of Lauterbrunnen on our last day, and they kept our luggage after checkout, then let us come back later in the day to hang out in their lounge, drink their coffee and water, and use their restrooms until our train left that evening. Each morning during our stay they gave us advice on which hikes to take and checked the webcams for the weather in the higher elevations.