We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowded Trains?

Muscat, Oman
11 posts
Save Topic
Crowded Trains?

Hello,

How crowded are the trains on Wednesdays mornings (departure time from Interlaken is on Wednesday April 9th between 7 am and 8 am) towards Zurich Airport? Because I was looking at the schedule on sbb.ch and it seems that trains are at full capacity at that time according to the website. If so, what are the alternatives for two adults as we want to reach the airport by maximum 10 am and we want a comfortable ride as my wife is pregnant.

Thanks & Regards,

Ahmed

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,062 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowded Trains?

Yes, those trains are crowded. Why not travel to Zurich the evening before so you don't have to rush in the morning? It's very easy to travel from just about anywhere in Zurich to the airport by public transportation and would very likely take under 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowded Trains?

If this is not possible, people are generally willing to give up seats to pregnant people if you ask politely.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowded Trains?

You should be OK in getting a seat in the train starting at Interlaken the train tends to fill up the closer you get to Bern.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,232 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowded Trains?

Staying at the Radisson Blu would be extremely convenient - it is located right at the airport terminal. But even if you stay in Zürich City the trains around 0945 to the airport (get you there by 1000) won't be bad at all as the rush hour will be over by then.

Muscat, Oman
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowded Trains?

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your replies :)

Ahmed

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowded Trains?

I would agree ith poster #3. Board the train at Interlaken Ost which is the starting point for the train, and you should have no bother in getting a seat. The train tends to fill up further on its journey as it stops at Interlaken a West, Thun, Spietz before arriving in Berne.

Have a pleasant trip.

John.

Muscat, Oman
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowded Trains?

Thanks John. If I'm not mistaken,We have to change trains at Berne that's where I'm worried that we might struggle to find seats let a lone finding a place for our luggage.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowded Trains?

Yes, it's the Bern to Zürich train that will be crowded, as will the station in Bern. You will probably have to go from platform 7 to platform 4 to get the Zürich train. Depending on what end of the zrain from Interlaken you are at, the change will either be down a ramp and under an underpass, or up an escalator and over an overpass to the other platform.

Lots of people will get off the Zürich train when it arrives in Bern, you should be able to get seats all right.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowded Trains?

There is actually one GREAT TRICK, especially convenient for your pregnant wife, since you would consequently not have to change any further train after Spiez, especially challenging in large and very crowded railway stations during rush hours with only a few minutes spare for the transfers, such as in Berne and in Zurich:

Be in Spiez before 07:25 and you will be able to board a train, which goes directly to Zurich Airport! Then you are at 9:16 at the Airport.

And to be very sure: make a reservation at any railway station not sooner than when you are in Switzerland.

But please, during hese heavy rush hours, do not put your baggage or any other things on or in front of free seats. The daily business and working man/woman commuting every day and "fighting" for a free seat will be so greatful for this thoughtfulness, especially between Berne and Zurich! ;-)

You are welcome ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,232 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowded Trains?

Normally we do not make reservations on trains here (except for the "tourist trains" like the Glacier Express etc) but in your case I think the advice given by marshmellowyou is good. A seat reservation will cost you a few francs. And would be well worth it. Once you board the Bern/Zürich train you can then go to your reserved seats and if someone is sitting in them simply show your reservation and they will have to move.

As S/He (we don't know "marshmellowyou" !!) says - go to any station once you are here in Switzerland and make the reservations. Last time I checked it cost 5frs/seat.