We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Central Location?

northern ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Most Central Location?

I am wanting to visit Switzerland with my 16 yr old son and my mother in summer but unsure where is best to stay for easy use of public transport to attractions.I want to visit the following:

Jungfraujoch

Schilthorn & Piz Gloria

Zermatt- Matterhorn

Montreux

Thermal Spa Leukerbad?

I am unsure which aiport we will fly to as there is no direct flight from Belfast so will prob fly to London first. Also which would be best value for travel Swiss Pass?! would a week be long enough to do the above? Any help greatly appreciated.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Central Location?

Kandersteg is fairly central but you will do is a lot of back tracking but then Kandersteg has a lot of attractions in its own right and you may not want to leave. If you are feeling realy adventerous you can walk to Leukerbad over the Gemmi Pass using the Sunbuel Cable way from Kandersteg. www.kandersteg.ch

The other alternative is to split your trip into two between the Interlaken and Wallis area, Brig is a popular place to stay.

Most visitors to Switzerland have some type of travel pass the Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass are good options. www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Central Location?

I think there may be a non stop flight to Geneva with Easyjet or Jet2 from Belfast unless they've pulled it! If it still exists this would be fine for where you wish to visit.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Central Location?

I think I might split your time between two bases. Maybe 3 days in Wengen for the Jungfrau area items and three days in Zermatt or Montreux for the western items.

If you are going to Wengen first then it really doesn't matter which airport you choose. The travel time to Wengen is almost identical from Geneva or Zurich.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Central Location?

Hi,

Easyjet and Jet 2 only fly direct flights from Belfast during the winter period for the ski season.

Best wishes.

John.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Central Location?

Hi, Ive been checking out lots of hotels etc but Interlaken is coming out more affordable although I realise its not as pretty but can visit Jungfrau area from there easily.

I really want to visit Montreux but again its so expensive and limited availabilty, Is there anywhere within 30 mins by train that I could stay.Im planning on visiting Interlaken first (staying 4 nights )so that journey back to Geneva airpor is quicker from Montreux area but struggling with where to stay? Is other side of Lake Geneva area cheaper?

Any help greatly appreciated:)

6. Re: Most Central Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:42