We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports Shoes or Hiking Boots for Wengen and Murren trials

Wynnewood, PA
2 posts
Save Topic
Sports Shoes or Hiking Boots for Wengen and Murren trials

I will be going to the Gimmelwald area this June and am wondering if there is a need to purchase hiking boots to traverse the trails up to 6-7,000 feet or can I just use my New Balance cross training shoes? What kind of footwear should one have for the trails around Wengen, Murren?

Interlaken...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports Shoes or Hiking Boots for Wengen and Murren trials

Hi Frank,

I do lots of walking up in that area and always wear good sturdy hiking boots which I recommend simply for the ankle support they provide. The trails around there are very well marked, maintained, and are relatively wide so it is certainly possible to walk them with cross trainers - which are more practical if you are travelling more in Europe and aren't planning too many other excursions into the mountains.

Like everything in the mountains, weather is the biggest factor. If you get days of rain where the trails are muddy and slippery, hiking boots are an essential. You do have the option of hiring Lowe test boots in certain hiking areas like Schynege Platte (probably the best hiking in the entire area).

A great hike from Murren/Gimmelwald is the trail up to the Saustal and Lobhornsee. Even better if you have the time is to continue from the Lobhornsee up and around the Lobhorn and across the Sulegg and back down.

Have fun and hope for good weather.

Chrigu

home
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports Shoes or Hiking Boots for Wengen and Murren trials

Hiking boots are a must for mountain trails. They give good grip and support ankles. Any sensible hiker would not contemplate walking mountain trails without boots. The wengen/murren area is lovely and the views are perfect just what you would expect to see in switzerland have a good time and take care

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports Shoes or Hiking Boots for Wengen and Murren trials

Frank, I have walked extensively in this area, and have always worn hiking boots. I would never recommend anybody to walk in the mountains without them. Not only do they give good ankle support, but they are much more comfortable. They also provide good grip on the ground should it be wet. Remember that the weather in the mountains can change very quickly. I have even encountered snow there in the summer time!

The trails are all well marked and you should have a great time.

Remember to take your camera! The scenery is breathtaking.

John.