We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

delhi
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Hi,

My wife and I would be in the Jungfrau region (Murren) from July 27 to 30. As of now the weather forecast looks really bleak :(

Would greatly appreciate suggestions on things to do during the rainy days. At this point we are quite sad that our dream vacation may not turn out to be great.

Thanks !

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

This question has been asked and answered literally dozens of times on this forum. You will get the most complete and thorough answers by simply searching "rain" in the search box on top of your post and looking through the many responses

Don't despair, the most accurate weather forecaster for the region (http://meteo.search.ch/lauterbrunnen) is showing partly sunny/partly rainy. That usually means that the weather is fine for most of the day with perhaps a shower in the afternoon. That has been our experience. Nothing to ruin a holiday!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

I think the best thing to do is walking. The views aren't great all the time, but the walking is still fun. It makes lunch an experience as well.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Yes, just get out and walk as long as it isn't raining torrentially! You will get some incredible views as the clouds lift and lower--in some ways more impressive than a sunny day when the views more or less stay the same.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Do a day trip to Bern. Or a cruise on one of the two lakes.They take on a completely different character in the rain and can be very beautiful.

Visit Trummelbach Falls. You're going to get wet there anyway, so what difference does a bit of rain make. And do search the Bernese Oberland forums for even more things to do in the rain.

delhi
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. We arrived in Murren today. Went up to Allmendhubel. The weather was bad, but we had a decent time. There was a live performance of Swiss folk music which was a nice surprise ! But we couldn't help thinking how great it would have been if the weather was good. Later we walked from Murren to Gimmelwald by which time the weather cleared for a short while and it was terrific while it lasted. The lift from Gimmelwald to stechelberg was great. We had a great time walking to trummelbach falls. The falls were a good experience too, though had to hurry since the wife was scared. Was a bit surprised that there was no Swiss pass discount at trummelbach falls. Later we took the bus to lauterbrunnen and the lift to murren to wrap up a nice day.

Right now we are praying like hell to all the gods to clear the weather ! We really want to see schilthorn and jungfraujoch. If the weather stays bad tomorrow, we are planning to do the lakes and probably ballenberg.

Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Praying with you and for you, we arrive next week and apparently face a similar forecast.

Let's hope we are both let down by the forecast!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Glad you enjoyed the Trummelbach Falls--but it is a violent place. First time visited, I have a photo of myself smiling and shivering in a pink California raincoat, as it more or less snowed...in June!

delhi
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

The gods do listen sometimes ! The weather was wonderful today for the most part. We went to jungfraujoch and all they say about it is true when the weather is good ! Though it was cloudy for a short while, but the clouds parted within an hour and views were then spectacular. Word of advise, do carry your camera battery charger and Swiss power adapter. I clicked literally hundreds of photos and shot a few videos after which the camera battery died on me. I had the battery charger with me but forgot the Swiss power adapter at the hotel. Asked but could not get it at jungfraujoch. Had to later buy it from sports shop at Kleine schiedegg. Thankfully I got quite a few good shots at jungfraujoch before the battery died. Later we went to grindelwald and first. The weather was bad again when we reached first. So could not go to bachalpsee lake. Maybe some other time. But still, what a wonderful day !

Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Wouldn't have thought of taking charger & adaptor with me on a day trip - would they have been willing to charge the battery for you on JF if you had had the adaptor with you?

Delighted that the sun shone for you at least part of the time.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 20:43
delhi
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do during rainy days in Jungfrau Region

Yes, there are power points available where you can charge.

Weather has been bad the last two days, especially yesterday. Even now I am at our hotel in Murren and we can't see the mountain. As per hotel staff, weather has been really bad this summer. We went to Spiez, Thun, Interlaken, Ballenberg museum, and Schynige Platte. It was a mistake to buy the Jungfrau VIP pass since it's value for money only if the weather is good. We went to Schynige Platte even though the weather was bad since it was coverd under the pass and we couldn't see a thing at the top.

We go to Lucerne today. Hopefully the weather will improve.