We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

I am planning a trip to switzerland in mid september with my wife and 4 month baby. I would like to get advice on the interlaken/lauterbrunnen areas (5 nights) .I am planning to hire a car and stay in interlaken. I know that switzerland has an amazing public transport system. but i since i have a baby i need the flexibility of a car and its convenience (even though it will be limited use in lauterbrunnen). A car allows me to keep a stroller handy if i need to use it around the villages like wengen and lauterbrunnen and avoids having to carry my baby around all the time.

I am planning to head into the mountains everyday to explore some of the villages and hiking trails( easy and scenic only) . I have done some reading up and here is what i have shortlisted.

1. Lauterbrunnen - park the car in a convenient spot. explore the valley. walk to the waterfalls.

2. Wengen - take the train from Lauterbrunnen. explore the village area, shops and cafes

3. Mannlichen - Kleine Scheidegg trail. Reach here from Wengen OR grindelwald.(which is easier for me?). Im not sure if i can do a 90 min walk with a baby so which part of the trail should i do to make sure i get the best views?

4. Murren - reach via Lauterbrunnen by train. explore viewpoints and cafes. walk to gimmelwald. get back to Lauterbrunnen.

5. Isenfluh - Reach here by car. then walk to Lauterbrunnen.

6. Schynige Platte - anything worthwhile here?

7. Grindelwald - reach by car. explore the town. anything else to see here?

since i have a baby i am not planning any higher reaches above 2500m (like Jungfrau and schilthorn) as the altitude is not suitable for her age. thankfully i have already seen these in my previous trips.

a. is there any rail pass that will make my travel cheaper and convenient?

b. any recommendations for hikes that i should not miss.

c. any villages which would be stroller friendly?

d. is parking easy in the villages?

e. are there any good scenic drives nearby which i can do.

thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

You cannot do much hiking on mountain trails with a stroller or pram. You need to bring a sling or similar baby carrier in addition to the stroller. Otherwise your range of action will be rather limited.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

yes i would be taking a bay carrier along for the hikes. stroller is useful only in village where there are smooth roads. thanks.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

Isenfluh - Reach here by car. then walk to Lauterbrunnen.

I would take the bus to Isenfluh if you plan to hike back to Lauterbrunnen.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

Why don't you stay in Grindelwald rather than Interlaken? You can reach all the places you list from there even quicker than you can from Interlaken AND for your baby the altitude change will be less each day. Grindelwald is about 1000m, Wengen 1200m. Interlaken is about 550m so you can see the difference for yourself.

No problem driving to Grindelwald either - easy road and many hotels there have parking.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

To reach Murren from Lauterbrunnen, you need to take the cable car up to Grutschalp, then the train to Murren. The walk from Grutschalp to Murren is not difficult, but I didn't attempt it with a baby.

To reach Mannlichen from Lauterbrunnen, you take the train to Wengen, then a cable car to Mannlichen. On the Grindelwald side you take a long cable car ride from Grund up to Mannlichen. I prefer the views going up from the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen option more.

The ride up to Schynige Platte is very scenic, with views over Interlaken, Lake Thun, and Lake Brienz. At the top, there is an Alpine Garden, and spectacular views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Jungfrau on a clear day. However, we were there in mid-September last year and most of the plants in the garden were no longer growing and were actually dying. There is a spectacular view over lakes Thun and Brienz on the Panoramaweg trail, but I wouldn't advise it with a child. There were some very steep drop-offs and steep trails.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

@Hambagahle,

i get the impression that interlaken is a better place to stay than grindelwald as it is a bit bigger and with more dining options. im a vegetarian and would need all the variety i can get. plus it has more supermarkets and shops for any provisions i may need.

thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

thanks MarkinSTL for the info

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

We found that a lightweight stroller, a simple, cheap Mclaren that folds to a big walking stick almost, plus a backpack was the best option for hikes.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

we have a britax b agile stroller. I cant seem to find many lighter strollers which are suitable for a 4 month old baby. they mostly say for 6 months and above.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,746 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)

tigerfondue -

I understand what you are saying but Interlaken is really not a very nice place. grindelwald is bigger than the other three villages in the area and has several pizzerias where veg food is not problem at all. (And while Interlaken has several Indian restaurants, reviews of them are not terrific.

Get answers to your questions about Jungfrau Region