I am planning a trip to switzerland in mid september with my wife and 4 month baby. I would like to get advice on the interlaken/lauterbrunnen areas (5 nights) .I am planning to hire a car and stay in interlaken. I know that switzerland has an amazing public transport system. but i since i have a baby i need the flexibility of a car and its convenience (even though it will be limited use in lauterbrunnen). A car allows me to keep a stroller handy if i need to use it around the villages like wengen and lauterbrunnen and avoids having to carry my baby around all the time.
I am planning to head into the mountains everyday to explore some of the villages and hiking trails( easy and scenic only) . I have done some reading up and here is what i have shortlisted.
1. Lauterbrunnen - park the car in a convenient spot. explore the valley. walk to the waterfalls.
2. Wengen - take the train from Lauterbrunnen. explore the village area, shops and cafes
3. Mannlichen - Kleine Scheidegg trail. Reach here from Wengen OR grindelwald.(which is easier for me?). Im not sure if i can do a 90 min walk with a baby so which part of the trail should i do to make sure i get the best views?
4. Murren - reach via Lauterbrunnen by train. explore viewpoints and cafes. walk to gimmelwald. get back to Lauterbrunnen.
5. Isenfluh - Reach here by car. then walk to Lauterbrunnen.
6. Schynige Platte - anything worthwhile here?
7. Grindelwald - reach by car. explore the town. anything else to see here?
since i have a baby i am not planning any higher reaches above 2500m (like Jungfrau and schilthorn) as the altitude is not suitable for her age. thankfully i have already seen these in my previous trips.
a. is there any rail pass that will make my travel cheaper and convenient?
b. any recommendations for hikes that i should not miss.
c. any villages which would be stroller friendly?
d. is parking easy in the villages?
e. are there any good scenic drives nearby which i can do.