We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfrau josh train booking

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jungfrau josh train booking

I have booked to stay in Grindelwald at the end of September at the start of the Swiss school holidays. Do I need to book the train up the Jungfrau from Grindelwald in advance. I don't want to get there and not be able to go up the Jungfrau.

Any recommendations on best walks for a few hours from Grindelwald with views and best cable car ride.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

Hi Julie !

Will answer a part of your query. You have selected a nice place to stay in. You do not need to book the train ticket in advance for visiting Jungfraujoch. In fact on the morning of your visit, check up the weather at the top through the webcam/s. If the weather is clear at the top, then only buy the tickets. Else, you will be wasting a lot many CHF for going to the top and being able to see just the clouds. Getting seats on the train will not be an issue at all.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

There is absolutely no point in going up the Jungfrau if the weather is not good. So don't buy in advance. But if you happen to wake up and you have a cloudless day, be on the next available train.

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

Thanks for reply. Can I buy the early morning discounted tickets on the morning of travel at the station. I noticed that they don't sell a discounted child ticket for early morning ride. I don't seem to be able to buy a normal child ticket, just a discounted adult ticket for CHF 135 instead of CHF 177. The normal child ticket is CHF 88.

Does anyone know more about this pricing?

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

If your child is < than 16 years old then you can buy a Junior Card in any train station for 30chf and that child will travel free with their parent(s) wherever you may go in Switzerland...even to the expensive Jungfrau.

sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses…

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

How old is your child?

What other travel will you make within Switzerland?

If your child is aged between 6 and 16 it may benefit you to purchase a Swiss Travel System pass as with one of these you can get a free Swiss Family Card which will allow free travel during your stay, including the journey to Jungfraujoch. You would also not be restricted to taking the 'Good Morning' train. For example with the 1 month Half Fare Card you would only pay 88:50 CHF return from Grindelwald and could take any train and stay at the top as long as you like.

You can get details of passes at:- swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/ticket-o…

6. Re: Jungfrau josh train booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16