We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murren Dining & Nightlife?

2 posts
Save Topic
Murren Dining & Nightlife?

My wife and I have 3 nights reserved at the Chalet Fontana in September. It looks lovely, but I'm having second thoughts. I love the quaint town, scenary and hiking, but my wife is not a big hiker and I'm afraid she'll be bored in the evenings.

She's not a drinker or disco dancer, but is there any live traditional entertainment/music (alpenhorns etc) in the evenings? Maybe a place for fondue?

Would we be better in Wengen?

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
598 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

I'm sure you can find fondue in Murren. You most certainly can have it at the Hotel Oblerland in Lauterbrunnen.

As for othe nightlife ... There really isn't any. Wengen won't be any better. Nor will Lauterbrunnen. You might want to consider Interlaken.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

There are quite a few "folk evenings" during the summer. Especially in August. Murren is known to have one of the best parades on the Swiss national day (Aug 1) but in September things slow down quite a bit. I'm sure your hotel could provide a fondue for you or give you a good recommendation in the village. If you can't find one in Murren I'd agree with the above recom. for the Oberland in Lauterbrunnen.

Enjoy your trip.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

Hotel Alpenruh has very good restaurant and sits just beside the Schilthorn gondola. On the other end of town is a very good Asian restaurant. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is wonderful. Staeger Stubli is also a free-standing restaurant/pub in the middle of the town. Food is so-so. Nightlife??? Well I just enjoy being in the Alps.

Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

Are you speaking for your wife or yourself. Give her some credit. So she isn't into hiking. You could take the cableway up to the Schulthorn. I'm sure you both would enjoy that.

My wife and I will be in Mürren the beginning of October and plan on doing that. We are senior types (I'm 74 and she is only 68) and I have us planning to do hiking one of the days. She probably will outlast me. We use to backpack in California in our younger days, but we are not dead yet.

But, maybe we have different ideas on nightlife. We also like cruising (we have a Baltic cruise in September). But after the show it is time for bed. That's my idea of night life.

John in California

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
713 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

My husband and I will be in Murren for six days, September 15-21. This is our fourth visit. We spend our evenings over long leisurely dinners, often visiting with locals or other travelers. A walk around town afterwards is always a good thing.

We will dine at least once at the Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen. It is very near the cableway you take back to Murren, across from the train station. The last cable back to Murren from Lauterbrunnen is at 8:47pm. The trip back takes about 25 minutes. If later than this, take the bus to Stechelberg and the cableway back to Murren, through Gimmelwald.

We will also eat in the Hotel Bellevue at their Jagerstubli Restaurant. In September they will probably have a fire in their fireplace at one end of the dining room.

I enjoy the Stagerstubli in Murren, on the opposite side of the street from Chalet Fontana. There is always alot of after dinner conversation here. The food is just average, although, I am one of these "crazy" people who loves liver and theirs is the best.

We are walkers here in the US but the minute I get off the plane in Switzerland, I think I become a hiker. Around Murren there are many relatively flat, beautiful hikes. Have a great time. The mountain views are breathtaking.

United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

Just a suggestion. If you like night life, do not stay in places like Wengen, Muren, etc... stay in Interlaken

But if you want to be in the mountains and spend evenings in pubs/bars, you can stay in Lauterbrunnen which is 20 mins from Interlaken OST station. You can spend day time in mountains for hiking, go to Interlaken for evening and return by the last train to Lauterbrunnen.

Lauterbrunnen is equally beautiful as Muren or Wengen and more accessible by rail.

All the best.

7. Re: Murren Dining & Nightlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:15
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question