We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

My husband and I have six nights in June to experience Switzerland for the first time. We have been dreaming of this trip for a long time. Murren seems like the perfect spot for us to set up ���base camp��� for our hiking excursions (note: we are avid hikers and plan on doing just that from morning til nightfall). From the pictures and feedback on various forums, we are already in love with this place.

But���..here���s my question: Does it make sense to stay in the one spot for the entire time (noting we only have 6 nights) or should we pick different spots every few nights??? Or is Murren as good a spot as any to act as a ���base camp���??

I���m just afraid with all our enthusiasm and excitement, we may not be thinking very clearly. In fact, I think I���m going ���cross eyed��� from my hours of internet researching for our trip!!!

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

My view is that it's a very good choice for what you're seeking. It's nice to see someone who is going to spend some time in one place - most requests try to cram in too many locations in too short a time.

Murren is great - and there's easy rail communications to other spots if you need them. Wengen has slightly easier comms and it's on the opposite side of the valley from Murren - another good option. You will be very happy with either - let's see how other people 'vote'.

bern
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Hello,

I agree with the previous post. You won't run out of hiking options in the area. Even if you hike all the trails in the Murren area (there are a lot), there are over 500 kilometres of marked trail in the next valley alone. These I know better as Ive hiked them all. You will have a great time.

cheers

Robert

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

You should stay in Murren. There are plenty of hiking trails in that area. However, if you wish, you can take the train and furnicular down to Lauterbrunnen and hike from there, or take the train from Lauterbrunnen station to Wengen, where you can walk for miles. Enjoy yourself and don't forget your camera.

Have a great holiday

John.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Base camp in Switzerland? We will have a week in Switzerland next year, then move on for a week in Austria. In Switzerland, should we base at which of the following?

Morschach; Grindelwald; Wengen; Lenzerheide; Klosters; Flims; Davos; or Arosa?

Anyone familiar enough with the country to make suggestions? Thanks!!

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Are you going by car or train? Do you want to explore many parts of Switzerland or just one part? One week limits your time. All of the places mentioned are beautiful although not all can be reached by train (Morschach). Arosa is way off the beaten path.

Get a map and get info on Switzerland from this forum, MySwitzerland.com and other sources. Decide what you want to see and then make a decision for your base camp.

Please do read the other threads on this forum. They are full of great info.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

cdnhiker: By choosing Murren as your base you've also effectively chosen the range from Schilthorn to Murren to Gimmelwald to Stechelberg since they are all connected by the same Gondola. It's super easy to use and the section from Stechelberg to Murren will be free with a Swiss Pass and the remaining section from Murren to Schilthorn covered at 50%. Murren is an excellent choice, and I hope you get to stay at the Chalet Fontana.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Wud Laterbreunne (pardon the spelling ) make a better choice being below Muerren ??

SunnyDeol

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

Murren will be a nice place for a weeks stay. There is enough hiking on that side of the valley to keep you busy for your entire stay. However I would recommend diversifying your experience by spending some time on the Wengen/Kleine Scheidegg side of the valley. The hiking is great on that side of the valley as well as at the southern end from Stechelberg. All areas are connected by elements of the Swiss transportation system. Cablecars, funiculars, trains. and post busses.

I don't know what level of difficulty you are looking for but some of the the can't miss hikes I try to get in each time I'm there are:

1.Murren up to the Shilthorn - It's a pretty good treck but the views are fabulous and you will be in Murren anyway.

2. Stechelberg to Obersteinberg and back. Wonderful walk especially in June with the alpine flowers blooming.

3. Grutchalp to Marchegg via Souslager. The feeling of the Alps in bloom .

4. Trummelbach falls up to Wengen. Less traveled trail offering some great up close views of the Jungfrau.

If you want any detailed info on these hikes or any others I would recommend let me know. I was once writing a book on hiking the Lauterbrunnen valley and have all my favorite hikes written up.

I'm really glad to see you are taking at least a week to spend in the area. Especially since you are hikers. I'm sure you will discover that a week is just enough time to see that you will have to come back over and over again.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Murren as a "base camp"....does this make sense....help!!

We have been walking in the Oberland most summers for more than 20 years and alternate between Murren and Grindelwald for our base. There is more than enough walking based on Murren to last for a week but, for a change of scene, you could also head for Wengen and walk to Grindelwald, returning by train. Murren to Grindelwald is only about 12 (rather hilly) miles and transport links are as good as you could imagine, if a little pricey.

While the Lauterbrunnen valley is incredibly beautiful and dramatic, I much prefer being based in one of the higher level villages.

You mention hiking until nightfall. In hot weather I try to be out be 6.00AM and back early afternoon, as dramatic thunderstorms are common later in the day. There are quite a few climbers and walkers who have found permanent rest in the area after being struck by lightning!