We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murren Co-op Grocery Store

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Murren Co-op Grocery Store

Can somebody give me an idea of how expensive food is at the Murren Co-op grocery store? My girlfriend and I plan on cooking our own meal the three nights in October we are in Murren and I just wanted to know how expensive food is there compared to the United States. We will be staying at Chalet Bobs. Any input you can provide would be very helpful. Thank you.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

Have a look at the Coop website (http://www.coopathome.ch) for an overview.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

My husband and I just returned from a trip to New York. We were SHOCKED! at how expensive food is there. It was cheaper for us to go to a restaurant. This holds true especially considering the price of fruit. I asked my husband if fruit and vegetables are luxury items in NY.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

Good news for you - Coop grocery store prices were about the same as they are in my hometown in Tennessee. Grocery store food is a bargain compared to restaurant food in Switzerland!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

And not only are the prices reasonable, the quality is excellent!

Sometimes the selection of fresh vegetables is a bit limited at that store because of its more remote location, but you still should find everything you need to prepare some nice deals.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

I agree about the high quality of most everything I've seen in Switzerland.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

twp, see my recent report on eating economically in Switzerland. Coop was our salvation. Some things like meat much more expensive than Oklahoma, fruits & vegetables not too far from our norm, and the quality is generally excellent. Don't miss the orange juice!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

The food prices at the coops seemed comparable to Chicago prices. However, the meat was terribly expensive....at least twice what we normally pay.

Be aware that the Co op in Murren closes for about 2 hours at noon time. We found that frustrating since that was when we were trying to buy lunch things for a hike. We didn't want to carry them around all morning. I found no explanation as to why they closed at what would seem to be prime time in a tourist area! However, the bakery and cheese shops were open so we did just fine there.

In Wengen, the Coop closed terribly early....6:30 I think! Coming from a major city, you will have to pay attention to these restrictive hours. AS someone else mentioned, they are also closed on Sunday.

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

Due to rules of the canton of Berne, they may have to close.

6.30PM is here not terribly early, but just normal.

It's what we live with our whole live.Of course you need a minimum of timing to do shopping, but it gives employees the free time they need.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

It's not just he Co-Op. Everything closes at lunch time. Resturants are the only things that stay open.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Murren Co-op Grocery Store

...and I believe I remember correctly that the Muerren Coop closes on Sunday.