We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murren or Engelberg

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falkenberg, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Murren or Engelberg

Hello!

We are planning a trip to Lugano, and we want to spend some days with easy hiking before we take the Wilhelm Tell express from Luzern. I have lokked at Murren and Engelberg wich one is best?We are middle aged and travel by train .

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murren or Engelberg

I personally prefer Murren but both areas are beautiful and have many fairly easy hikes. Access to many of the hikes in both areas will depend very much on weather and when you plan to be in the area. Engleberg is closer to Luzern so getting to your train connection would be quicker. When are you planning to travel?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,947 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murren or Engelberg

Hi abn61 and wellcome on the forum

Of course I say go for Engelberg as I live in the area. Engelberg is a sunny valley on the foot of Mt. Titlis and close to many other attractions within the greater Lucerne area.

How much you can hike depends on the season your will be there. Look at www.engelberg.ch/index.php?id=58&lang=en for more informtion about the area.

For timetabels routings and fares of public transport in Switzerland look at www.sbb.ch/en and for railpasses at www.swisstravelsystem.ch

pore

Falkenberg, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murren or Engelberg

We have our vacation in the middle of june, and i hope its a good time for walking in the beautiful landscape. Last year we travelled by the Glacier express and stay for 3 nights in Zermatt it was in the end of april, and still a lot of snow, but some of the lower hikingpaths was open, we liked it very much, so we will return to fantastic Switzerland. Best regards from Anette in Sweden.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Murren or Engelberg

Just add another vote for Engelberg I agree with pore. I've stayed in both and prefer Engelberg.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murren or Engelberg

And in June either would be a good choice.

6. Re: Murren or Engelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Murren