We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to Murren by Train

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
4 posts
Save Topic
Zurich to Murren by Train

Hi guys,

I'm so excited to visit Murren but I'm having difficulty understanding how to travel from Zurich to Murren by train. Can anyone tell me how to travel from Zurich to Murren?

Thank you!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

Take any of the SBB trains from Zurich airport or Zurich city to Interlaken Ost. Take the BOB(Berner Oberland Bahn) train to Lauterbrunnen. Walk across the street to the BLM station and catch the cablecar up to Grutchalp and the train into Murren.

For schedules type in Zurich airport to Murren BLM

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Blountville...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

Is this entire route from Zurich to Murren covered by the Swiss Pass?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

yes

Blountville...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

Thanks for the quick response Mountaintopper. I have one more question if you don’t mind as I am slowly getting a grasp on the trains. We are staying 2 nights in Murren (Sept 29) and want to go to Schtilthorn if it is clear. I don’t think this trip is covered by the Swiss pass, but we can get 50% off with the pass. If the trip to Schilthorn is the only one we make that day will it count as a day on our pass to use the 50% off? About ready to purchase the 2 for 1 fall pass deal and just wanting to make sure I get the right one to cover all our days.

West Linton, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

Before your trip its worth visiting the SBB site. The timetable feature covers connections, platforms, even postbusses where relevant. It is worth running off options over say a 2 hour window in case you are delayed, and to make any intermediate transfers easier. Note also that the earliest train isn't necessarily the easiest, or even the quickest. Sometimes it is necessary to change at Zurich HBB and/or Bern, while others run direct.

A tip: Make sure you sit on the Left hand side of the train as it leaves Bern (which is the right hand side between Zurich and Bern as the train reverses direction at Bern HBB). From the left hand windows you get glimpses of the 3 peaks (Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger) soon after leaving Bern, and you are on the lake-side of the train. Swiss trains are a great way to travel.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

joket

If you have a Swiss Pass, which is valid for consecutive days, then it will count as a day on your pass whether you use it that day or not.

If you have a Swiss Flexi-Pass, which is valid for a month, then you decide on which days you validate it. You will only get a 50% discount to Schilthorn whichever pass you buy.

Blountville...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

We are getting the flexi-pass and was wondering if the only thing we use the pass for that day is the 50% discount if it would count as one of our 4 days. I read to enter attractions covered by the pass uses a day and think if I read it right that using it for the 50% discount only would not use a day if that is all we did that particular day.

Thanks for the saeting tips. We are arriving from the US very early AM and kow we will be tired but none-the-less was thinking about taking the long way to Murren through Luzern to kill some time before check-in thinking it might be a more scenic train ride. Will that be a good idea and if so it appears that left hand seats will be preferable, right?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

The Swiss Flexi-Pass acts as a Half Fare Card between the first and last validated days. So if you use it on a non-validated day it to go to Schilthorn you get a 50% discount and it does not count as a 'day'.

CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

I did the Zurich to Murren trip on Friday. I was a little stressed but it ended up being very easy. I always had plenty of time to make the next leg of the trip and everything ran like clockwork. I had my cell phone and it instructed me step-by-step, just in case I needed confirmation which train I needed to catch next. Always look for the train schedule on the board and it'll tell you gate numbers.

Also if you're arriving at the Zurich airport, you may want to go to the visitor/railway center and they'll run the numbers for you. They'll tell you if it's cheaper to buy a pass or pay individual legs.

Tip: I got off at Interlaken West and walked through town to Interlaken Ost. It was a nice way to check out the town. From Interlaken Ost, you can catch the train to Lauterbrunnen.

Have fun!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zurich to Murren by Train

Just curious, where are you staying in Murren?

The reason I am asking, we will be in Murren in January 2013, but haven't decided where to stay.